FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:14 pm
knowledgeispower

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pochama
Thinking about getting the Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred. My Equifax is 805 and Transunion is 812. Just a few questions.

1) I only have one other credit card (Capital One Platinum from 3 years ago), some student loans, and I financed a car last month. I feel like I have enough credit history for the Freedom, but unsure about the Sapphire Preferred. Should I apply now or wait a little bit given my recent auto loan? If I should wait, how long would be enough?

2) Should I apply for both at the same time? It seems like you can maximize your UR when you use them in tandem. Or should I get the Freedom first, wait a few months, and then apply for the Sapphire Preferred?
Given you have a credit card for 3 years, you probably have a decent credit history. Not stellar but nothing concerning. Your credit score is also great and if anything the car loan will only add to your history.

Personally I would apply for both cards at the same time. There haven't been many recent reports about applying for 2 Chase cards at the same time but given you only have 1 card and its 3 years old I don't see you having any problem. I would apply for the Sapphire first followed by the Freedom (same day of course) but that's just me and it could be switched if you prefer it. Basically apply for the card you want most first and then do the second application from there just incase they don't approve the 2nd one (since you will be starting a new relationship with them it may reject the 2nd application until you've established a 6-12 months history with them).

I would then proceed to open like 6 more cards on the same day with other banks but that's just me If you do that open Citi next because they can be sensitive to the number of inquiries followed by Barclay and Amex....But keep in mind if you get denied for your 2nd Chase card and you really want that card it may be worth holding off on other apps until you wait out 6-12 months and re-apply for that Chase card. You might get away with a few apps in the mean time with other banks (maybe 3ish?)