FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I'm wondering if anyone has been rejected due to the new 5/24 policy and then called reconsideration to get their application approved. Any data points on this?
Plenty of re-rejection datapoints. I don't know think there's a single success datapoint for unambiguous violation of 5/24 (ie, not on the borderline of 5 depending on how you count, and not with AUs muddying it up) on a personal UR card.

It's not clear whether the 5/24 policy is exactly 5 or exactly 24. It's not clear, last I heard, whether it applies to business cards. It doesn't seem to yet apply to most (if any) partner (ie, non-UR) cards.

I also don't know if all people know whether it's the 5/24 policy alone and/or something else they're rejected for. Chase has a longer-running policy against people who are "only in it for the [signup] rewards", which involves mostly how people have used any Chase cards they've had in the past (not cards with other banks). To know whether you've been rejected for 5/24 alone, you have to have no just been spending on the minimum spend for signup bonuses on previous Chase cards and then putting them in the drawer until you cancel them. How many people apply for way more than 5 total cards in 24 months, and yet put some "everyday" spending on every Chase card they have? (Most active churners are too busy meeting minimum spend on some other card to come back and put some activity on every Chase card they hold, and so they end up susceptible to rejection under both the new 5/24 policy and the older "only in it for the [signup] rewards" policy.)