FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Pet Peeve--Selfish Use of Overhead Bins
Old Jun 19, 1999, 5:10 pm
knowitall

PUNKI:
I couldn't agree more with you!

The only airline which I know protects 1class overheads is Alaska Air, if you are in row 1.
There are signs on the bins stating reserved for row 1 passengers. I've seens FAs remove luggage from the bins and have asked to have luggage removed.

Back to your topic: If you take advantage of preboarding you obviously get first call on the 1class overhead bin. However, I've noticed (usually disgruntled elite fliers who couldn't get an upgrade or someone sitting way back in coach) conveniently pop their bags into the 1class bins. Being somewhat assertive I've removed the bags or asked the FAs to do so, especially if it was my bin that was used. One time they called the other person's name over the pa system and he came up from coach row 95 or something and ended up having to check his bag. Fortunately, he never knew that I was the complainer, and more fortunately we 1classers are always deplaned first.

Another time, I sat in my exit center seat only to notice 2 bags in the floor space in front of me. I asked the guys on my left and right if they owned said bags. After "no" answers from each I repeated the question and again got "no" responses. I then pulled the FA button and placed both bags in the aisle. Suddenly a tirade started from Mr exit windowguy (2 prior "no" answers), in language not appropriate for FT. At any rate, I got to use the floor storage area and noticed that when MRexitwindowguy deplaned he had a total of FIVE (5 - V) carryons.

I think we need a FTers Bill of Rights!