FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Abu Dhabi
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:40 am
jaejaez

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for this excellent summary of Starwood options in Abu Dhabi!

In view of this very useful information, and in view of our travel schedule and priorities below, am I correct in assuming that Le Royal Meridien is probably the best option for my wife and myself when we overnight in late February next year?

We'd be arriving at 12:30 pm and departing 8:30 am the next day. We'd rather explore the sights and culture in our brief stay rather than just lounge by the pool or sea, especially since our main stop in Vietnam (where we're going from AUH) will be the beach anyway.

Speaking of which, am I correct in assuming that LRM is near the corniche/promenade, and that the corniche is worth a look early evening? I've only passed through AUH once, arriving late and leaving early the next day, so have only glimpsed the corniche from the taxi at night.

I have a pretty good AA rate ($143 total) at LRM. (Slightly more than the prepaid rate, but at this point I want the flexibility of being able to cancel if necessary.)

Thanks for any advice on whether the LRM or some other SPG hotel would be best.
Yes from what I read it would be the best option for you.

Corniche is not as exciting as you seem to think (in my opinion anyway) - it's used mainly by joggers more than anything else. so what I would do instead is to do a quick cab ride from the LRM to the Etihad Towers and go up the observatory at the Jumeriah hotel to get a glimpse of how Abu Dhabi looks like from the top (and also be able to tell ppl that you were at the building where the latest Fast & Furious was filmed). Have tea and pastries there (comes included as part of observatory ticket) and on the way back walk over to the Emirates Palace which is just adjacent to the Etihad Towers. If time allows, have lunch here at one of the super lavish outlets (Hakkasan etc) - it will be quite an experience..

When sun sets, head over to Saadiyat island which is another quick cab ride away from LRM and check out one of its beaches (e.g. Saadiyat Beach club) - you pay a entry fee and you get given all the amenities you need for a relaxing evening by the emerald beach. Note you do not wanna go to the beach during the day in AUH..... too hot!

For dinner, i would come back to LRM as they have one of the best F&B outlets of all the starwood hotels in AUH in my opinion. Try market kitchen or Amalfi, they're both really good. Or if local fare is what strikes your fancy, hop back on a cab and head to Nation Galleria mall where they have a restaurant called "Wafi Gourmet". I thought it was pretty good...

Abu Dhabi resident here standing by if you have any other questions...