FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Melatonin for jet lag
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 1999, 8:41 pm
burkey
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Wonderer-- You beat me to it. This month's TravelWise will be on melatonin. So, you all will get the low-down before I even write the article. Basically, the "simple" rule is to take 3-5 mg, at bedtime local time starting on the day of arrival for about 3-4 days; this is for east- or west-bound travel. Also this is good for crossing up to around 9 timezones. This simple rule is generally good for travellers who plan to be at their destination for 3-4 days after arrival. If staying less than that amount of time, studies show melatonin has no beneficial effect, rather hypnotics to help go to sleep are better over melatonin, which is a biochronotroph. The more "complex plan" was literally laughed at during the Travel Medicine conference I just attended, becuause no one, could be complient with the regimen. Also note, that melatonin is a dietary supplement, meaning that it is regulated as such-- which means it's not regulated. So check with your pharmacist as to a reputable, recommened brand to use as some brands are produced by fly-by-night operations. One last thing, if any flight crew are reading this, check with your carrier as to rules and regs of even taking melatonin....as they need to follow the "complex plan," and some carriers don't allow it's use because the flight crew isn't in country long enough to benefit. wonderer if you have any more questions, fell free to email me...

forgot to add, that doc, you're right, age does affect jet lag, makes it worse, just one more thing to look forward to.

[This message has been edited by burkey (edited 06-10-1999).]