FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - your favourite made up rules.....
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:33 pm
chris1979

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
your favourite made up rules.....

on the current trip, I've encountered 2 made-up rules I'd not heard before so I thought a bit of amusement on here sharing your favourite made up rules wouldn't go amiss.

1. at PTY security, before the actual x-ray screening, the lady tasked with doing little apart from telling people to only step forward to the x-ray one at the time (thus slowing down the flow), takes interest in a mini spray deodorant that I bought in the US (under 100 mls and it had made it through numerous other x-rays machines in various airports across the US). She pulls it out of my plastic bag, reads on the back, points to the "flammable" sign (she didn't speak English so we were communicating in different languages) and took it off me. I tried to explain in best charade-mode that it was deo, that it was absolutely fine, had flown through a lot of airports but to no avail. she then also pulls out my other UK mini deo sprays out and confiscates them all on the basis they also had 'flammable' signs on them. (those who know me will understand that this was most unsettling for me).

2. not that I am particularly weak bladdered but I often like using the toilet just before we set off as I find that AA pilots leave the seatbelt on for a very long time on longer flights and I drink lots of water to stay well hydrated on trips. Done it many many times - never during taxi or safety briefing but always when still at the gate. on recent AA flight, doors had literally just closed as I was walking to the toilet (no safety briefing being shown yet, no particular action taking place in galley, we were still firmly at the gate, jetty hadn't even started moving yet, etc) but the stewardess (whose face showed how much she didn't enjoy her job or the fact that there were passengers on board) told me firmly that I would have to wait until after take-off as the rules stated that bathrooms couldn't be used once doors are closed.....

what are your favourite "made up" rules?