FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:02 pm
flatlander

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Hayden
I can see the advice here is to avoid 90-minute T5-T3 connections. That said...

In early September, I'll be flying CPT-LHR-ORD. I have the choice of a 90-minute connection to AA's maybe more-lightly-loaded 7:45 am LHR-ORD, or a 6-hour connection to the 12:15 pm departure (coming from J on the CPT-LHR flight to Y on LHR-ORD on a mileage ticket). Right now, I took the longer connection, figure I'll give myself a lounge tour, get some tea at the Harrod's store, read the British tabloids, etc.

Would you roll the dice on a 90-minute early-morning T5-T3 transfer?
That is more plausible than most of the LHR short connections being discussed here. I'm assuming these are separate tickets - if they are the same ticket, just go for it as you'll automatically be protected if you misconnect. AA's generous OW connection protection might kick in (especially with a helpful agent) even if they aren't. The inbounds from South Africa are rarely late.

You will clear security in T3 which will be quiet at that time in the morning.

Note that you do NOT need to go T5A to catch the bus to T3. You can get it from T5B. See here (despite the somewhat mistitled thread there).

If you do choose to hang out in T3 for a few hours, it's quite alright. The AA lounge mostly sucks, but the BA and CX lounges are better. The main terminal area is OK as well.