FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing an Ipad Air 2 to India
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:14 pm
belidage

Hi VickiSoCal,

Thanks so much for taking time to give your inputs. I'm not able to find this information anywhere.

Could you help to clarify your comments.
We are a family of 4 (2 adult Indian citizens and 2 US born kids less than 10 years but are PIO holders) visting India from US and will be staying in India for a month.

Each of us will be carrying 1 IPad each in their respective carry-on bags, I will be having 1 laptop in addition to the ipad, so a total of 1 laptop + 4 ipads(old generation ipads Rs 13,000). This brings another question, in this scenario do we each need to fill a custom declaration form on the plane before landing India or only head of the family fills it. Based on Indian custom website as of 2015, since the value of IPads is less than Rs.17,500, we do not have to pay any duty here as we meet the duty free requirements. Also the strange thing is in the 2015 custom rule guide, the declaration of bringing in Indian currency of more than Rs 10,000 is not there, it looks like the limit has been increased to Rs 25,000/ or am I mistaken here.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason05feb2015.pdf

Duty free
For Passengers of age 10
Years & Above
--------------------
Valued upto Rs.45,000/ + a laptop

For Passengers
of age below 10
Years
-------------------
Valued upto
Rs.17,500/