Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Bringing an Ipad Air 2 to India

Old Jun 10, 15, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I am currently in Japan and have bought Ipad Air 2 as duty free.

Do I need to pay any custom duty for it in Mumbai,India? This ipad is for my personal use and I have already opened the sealed. I will also be carrying my office laptop along with me.

Do I need to explicitly declare the cost of this Ipad in the immigration form? Or I can simply walk through the green channel as the cost is under 45k?
Old Jun 11, 15, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its over the duty free allowance so ideally it should be declared....however i don't think anyone at customs will bother with an ipad....
Old Jun 11, 15, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Its not over the duty free allowance. I think as per the new rules the limit is 45k and plus one laptop is allowed. The cost of new ipad is around 35k so its well under the limit.
Old Jun 11, 15, 10:56 pm

Programs: United Silver Hilton Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Le Accos Platinum Air India Silver
Originally Posted by gandhiaarti02 View Post
Hi,

I am currently in Japan and have bought Ipad Air 2 as duty free.

Do I need to pay any custom duty for it in Mumbai,India? This ipad is for my personal use and I have already opened the sealed. I will also be carrying my office laptop along with me.

Do I need to explicitly declare the cost of this Ipad in the immigration form? Or I can simply walk through the green channel as the cost is under 45k?
You are good, and also if its for personal use the most they ask you to is make open the seal of the box, that way you won't be able to re sell it ( in their opinion !! ).
Old Jun 13, 15, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gandhiaarti02 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Its not over the duty free allowance. I think as per the new rules the limit is 45k and plus one laptop is allowed. The cost of new ipad is around 35k so its well under the limit.
is the ipad the only thing you are bringing back????the duty free allowance is for all goods you are bringing back....

either way, like i said before, its unlikely anyone will stop you for an ipad....
Old Jul 18, 15, 3:48 pm

Can a family of 4(2 adults & 2 children less than 10 years) carry 4 opened iPad which are being used for personal use without any issue while travelling to India, will it attract duty?

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 15, 3:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Depends. Are you just taking the ipads along or do you want them to remain in India?

Read this:
http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason05feb2015.pdf
The key is prove that:
these goods, other than those consumed during the stay in India, are re-exported when the tourist leaves India for a foreign destination.
You are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that 4 ipads are for personal use and will be taken back
Old Jul 20, 15, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
You are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that 4 ipads are for personal use and will be taken back
Why? Our family of four travels with 4 tablets, one apiece, and the adults each carry a laptop.

I suspect that a non-Indian family visiting with a tablet apiece would be fine, an Indian family returning form a trip abroad would be viewed with suspicion.
Old Jul 20, 15, 2:13 pm

Suuure...
Old Jul 20, 15, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand? Are you saying that you don't believe that my family always travels with one tablet apiece and two laptops, one for each adult. Or that if we went to India, they wouldn't believe it?

Is that that unusual? I mean, I see families out to eat, travelling, etc. all the time, with each kid plugged to their own tablet.
Old Jul 20, 15, 4:14 pm

Look, its a free country, and you are free to do what you like. But be aware the folks at Indian Customs are out to make a quick buck. So the proof will be on you. The easiest way out is to have the goods recorded in your passport or to pay duty which you claim back /have erased from your documents when you leave the country after your trip.
Old Jul 20, 15, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our family is not planning to travel to India anytime soon but it would not occur to us that travelling with a tablet for every member of the family should be recorded in our passports. We have traveled to a large number of countries and no one has ever thought that excessive. The husband goes once a year and always travels with an iphone, an ipad, and a laptop, as do all of his coworkers. More than one of these things per person seems like it would be weird, but one per person?
Old Jul 20, 15, 10:14 pm

Hi VickiSoCal,

Thanks so much for taking time to give your inputs. I'm not able to find this information anywhere.

Could you help to clarify your comments.
We are a family of 4 (2 adult Indian citizens and 2 US born kids less than 10 years but are PIO holders) visting India from US and will be staying in India for a month.

Each of us will be carrying 1 IPad each in their respective carry-on bags, I will be having 1 laptop in addition to the ipad, so a total of 1 laptop + 4 ipads(old generation ipads Rs 13,000). This brings another question, in this scenario do we each need to fill a custom declaration form on the plane before landing India or only head of the family fills it. Based on Indian custom website as of 2015, since the value of IPads is less than Rs.17,500, we do not have to pay any duty here as we meet the duty free requirements. Also the strange thing is in the 2015 custom rule guide, the declaration of bringing in Indian currency of more than Rs 10,000 is not there, it looks like the limit has been increased to Rs 25,000/ or am I mistaken here.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason05feb2015.pdf

Duty free
For Passengers of age 10
Years & Above
--------------------
Valued upto Rs.45,000/ + a laptop

For Passengers
of age below 10
Years
-------------------
Valued upto
Rs.17,500/

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 15, 1:45 am

You do not need to declare anything if you plan to take everything back. If you want to gift it away in India, you need to declare.
Old Jul 21, 15, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I only have experience with business travelers with personal (company owned) normal equipment- one tablet, one phone, one laptop per traveler. No issues. For years.

Search this Thread