FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poor first impressions of QR - will stick with EK
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:06 am
aceboy44

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I was hoping for better service on board for the near 4 hour flight (and would you believe there were only 40 people on the A330 to DOH) but received average service, a very poor meal....small portion size, and they had the nerve to suggest the meal came with "cheese" which actually was one of those tiny butter containers with some spread in it. Compared to EK it was very poor.

I completely disagree with that statement

I have flown with EK first class HKG - DXB and flown CX J-class HKG - DOH. Compared to CX, the desert and main course on EK, despite flying in first class, was extremely poor and I couldn't finish neither enjoy my meal on that 8.5 hours flight. I had to wait until we landed and eat at the first class lounge which is not what I expect when I fly first class on a long-haul flight

On the other hand, food onboard CX J-class and QR Y class was extremely delicious and I enjoyed my meal I just hope they would have served a larger portion.

So, why would you fly QR (as an alternative to EK). Their business model is obviously to attract connecting passengers but the have mediocre on board offering, awful lounge offerings for Oneworld status pax not to mention skimping on any Avios points they might hand out.
Having flown with QR and CX, I enjoyed their onboard service compared to EK.

So, no more QR for me....why would I bother to take a connecting flight to DOH risking missing an onward flight because I don't want to sit in some grotty lounge had I taken an earlier one (+ the above). Seems pretty dumb to me
What I don't understand is why would any rational person take a connecting flight for a 4 - 5 hours flight to IST, than a direct flight with a reputable carrier such as EK