Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Poor first impressions of QR - will stick with EK

Old Jul 9, 15, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat

As a life time gold on BA who has recently taken some work in Dubai/Riyadh I decided to build status on EK (and will be Gold with them in the next month or so). However, sometimes EK are expensive on certain routes or, as I am now finding, sold out way in advance meaning I have to find alternatives. (I am also *G via my partner's MM UA card)

Wanting to try and utilize my Emerald status, QR seemed the obvious (only) choice and I have recently flown DXB-DOH-RUH and today completed a IST-DOH-DXB.

The first trip was "ok". First class lounge in DXB, no re-screening at DOH and into the very nice QR F lounge which I was told I could only use as the other ones were being re-furbished. Service on board was minimal but that was almost to be expected given the 2 short legs. Nothing to complain about on this one.

However, today has given me a much worse perspective on QR. IST as an airport is awful so not blaming QR for anything there. I was hoping for better service on board for the near 4 hour flight (and would you believe there were only 40 people on the A330 to DOH) but received average service, a very poor meal....small portion size, and they had the nerve to suggest the meal came with "cheese" which actually was one of those tiny butter containers with some spread in it. Compared to EK it was very poor. On arriving at DOH had a long walk to the re-screen and then up to the lounge which is now the "Emerald" first class lounge. What a joke! It's like a tarted up servisair lounge and an insult to Oneworld. By all means have a separate lounge for just QR pax (like BA does for F pax at LHR) but don't then offer status pax this rubbish at your homebase. Emerald in LHR gets BA's First (read Gold card) lounge which is pretty reasonable. *G in IST gets into the quite impressive Turkish airlines lounge. At nearly every home base airport I have been to access is granted to status pax and to a reasonable standard.

So, why would you fly QR (as an alternative to EK). Their business model is obviously to attract connecting passengers but the have mediocre on board offering, awful lounge offerings for Oneworld status pax not to mention skimping on any Avios points they might hand out.

So, no more QR for me....why would I bother to take a connecting flight to DOH risking missing an onward flight because I don't want to sit in some grotty lounge had I taken an earlier one (+ the above). Seems pretty dumb to me
Old Jul 9, 15, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
why would I bother to take a connecting flight to DOH risking missing an onward flight because I don't want to sit in some grotty lounge had I taken an earlier one (+ the above). Seems pretty dumb to me
Well, you did it! so no comment ...

Seriously, though: what was it you didn't like about the lounge - apart from it not being al Mourjan ?
Old Jul 9, 15, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
At nearly every home base airport I have been to access is granted to status pax and to a reasonable standard.
QR break the mold.
They place the value in their premium product. If you want the good stuff, you need to be sitting up front.

If you're down the back, you're "out the back".
As already asked, what was so bad with the OW Lounge ?
I've read that you can get something hot or cold to eat, you can get a beer, wine or juice, you can grab a shower, a comfortable seat, .....
It meets all Oneworld criteria and expectations without all the bells and whistles.

I guess you are having trouble with the QR model
Old Jul 9, 15, 9:36 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
So, why would you fly QR (as an alternative to EK). Their business model is obviously to attract connecting passengers but the have mediocre on board offering, awful lounge offerings for Oneworld status pax not to mention skimping on any Avios points they might hand out.
Well, lets see:
  • you get 9 abreast in Y on B777 vs. 10 abreast in Y on EK B777.
  • you get 2-2-2 in J on B777 vs. 2-3-2 in J on EK B777.
  • OW lounges vs. EK lounges.
  • earning miles from OW airlines

So far I've had good experience flying QR J and I think Al Safwa is the best J lounge (yes, no access to OWS/OWE) in the OW family but yeah, if you're hoping the cheapest fare will give you everything under the sun, unfortunately QR isn't that type of airline.

At nearly every home base airport I have been to access is granted to status pax and to a reasonable standard.
Well I guess you've never been to Singapore then.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jul 9, 15 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 9, 15, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I presume you missed the recent EK Gold Status Match then...
Old Jul 10, 15, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rivarix View Post
Well, lets see:
  • you get 9 abreast in Y on B777 vs. 10 abreast in Y on EK B777.
  • you get 2-2-2 in J on B777 vs. 2-3-2 in J on EK B777.
  • OW lounges vs. EK lounges.
  • earning miles from OW airlines

So far I've had good experience flying QR J and I think Al Safwa is the best J lounge (yes, no access to OWS/OWE) in the OW family but yeah, if you're hoping the cheapest fare will give you everything under the sun, unfortunately QR isn't that type of airline.

Well I guess you've never been to Singapore then.
Lol....

With a smaller aisle, there is almost no difference in the seating comfort. QR's A320 uses the same minimal seat pitch now to be found on BA. EK don't have short haul small planes so the pax benefits by having long haul planes on all flights. In addition, EK IFE is in general much better in Y than what I've seen on QR.

Anyway, my point was that to get pax like me to connect the connecting airport has to provide a decent environment as well as comparable on-board service and that clearly isn't the case with QR as my post highlighted. On board service (in Y), poor substitute lounge in DOH means connecting traffic unlikely.

BTW, re other comment regarding Status match, I did ask EK but they would only match me to Gold if I had a confirmed J class booking and I only fly Y (unless on a special fare). I have no issue with this and it kind of proves my point that QR doesn't make it attractive enough to connect in Y even with status versus flying in Y with EK with no status
Old Jul 10, 15, 1:38 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
You've given your reasons & made your choice so good luck to you, different airlines for different tastes.

Just remember that a lot of us fly QR because we like the way they differentiate between 'Premium' & Economy pax, it doesn't make us wrong or QR a bad airline.
Old Jul 15, 15, 2:06 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, Kuwait Airways Silver, Marriot Silver, Skywards Silver
I was hoping for better service on board for the near 4 hour flight (and would you believe there were only 40 people on the A330 to DOH) but received average service, a very poor meal....small portion size, and they had the nerve to suggest the meal came with "cheese" which actually was one of those tiny butter containers with some spread in it. Compared to EK it was very poor.

I completely disagree with that statement

I have flown with EK first class HKG - DXB and flown CX J-class HKG - DOH. Compared to CX, the desert and main course on EK, despite flying in first class, was extremely poor and I couldn't finish neither enjoy my meal on that 8.5 hours flight. I had to wait until we landed and eat at the first class lounge which is not what I expect when I fly first class on a long-haul flight

On the other hand, food onboard CX J-class and QR Y class was extremely delicious and I enjoyed my meal I just hope they would have served a larger portion.

Having flown with QR and CX, I enjoyed their onboard service compared to EK.

So, no more QR for me....why would I bother to take a connecting flight to DOH risking missing an onward flight because I don't want to sit in some grotty lounge had I taken an earlier one (+ the above). Seems pretty dumb to me
What I don't understand is why would any rational person take a connecting flight for a 4 - 5 hours flight to IST, than a direct flight with a reputable carrier such as EK
Old Jul 15, 15, 6:04 am

I'm not quite understanding this post...are you really comparing like for like? as one of the previous posts states:

EK 777 Business = 2-3-2.
QR 777 Business = 2-2-2.

End of discussion for me.

From my perspective, I've twice looked at EY, EK and QR and reviewed all posts and determined that it's close between QR and EY but EK quite far behind save for the taxi service.

When I looked at the LHR - BKK..HKT-LHR service last yr. I had the choice of the A319 all business or A380 Emirates wood veneer and mega business upstairs. Then on the return leg it was a refurbished QR A330 or a Emirates A340 recliner. Recliner seats in this day and age and EK are better?
Old Jul 15, 15, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wavery83 View Post
EK 777 Business = 2-3-2.
QR 777 Business = 2-2-2.

End of discussion for me.
6 middle seats from 42 available. Only if every other seat is taken should it be a deal breaker.

And none on the A380s which serve all LHR flights.

HKT is no longer served by an A340, which are being phased out, but obviously weren't up to scratch.

I'm a fairly long time EK user, but in the last year or so both QR and EY have started flights from my neck of the woods, so I've been tempted to change. The comments I read here on Flyertalk make it less likely that I'll do so.
Old Jul 15, 15, 12:28 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
I would say QR is usually better than EK in Y.
Old Jul 15, 15, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
6 middle seats from 42 available. Only if every other seat is taken should it be a deal breaker.

And none on the A380s which serve all LHR flights.

HKT is no longer served by an A340, which are being phased out, but obviously weren't up to scratch.

I'm a fairly long time EK user, but in the last year or so both QR and EY have started flights from my neck of the woods, so I've been tempted to change. The comments I read here on Flyertalk make it less likely that I'll do so.
Not really.

1. it still means the 777 cabin on EK is clearly more packed.
2. that a380 cabin looks very vast to me!! So I'm not convinced at all that the EK product isn't worse than QR or EY. EY looks the best tbh. I have read EK reviews (hence decision to stick with QR) and there are a lot of moans about the quality of service on a full EK A380. The volumes those guys serve means the inevitable.
3. HKT - fair enough. Was actually a bit annoyed to see a 777 parked up at HKT when we did fly but you can see that was not a competitive product at the time.
4. I refuse to believe the EK lounge at LHR is better than QR's.

I am happy to give EK a try one day but, from what I am reading, I would rank them very much in third place for the ME carriers. Sure the entertainment system is better.

Given the comments re. lounges and inconsistency I'm not surprised to see QR becoming EK (i.e. a big carrier no longer able to deliver the personal touch). I just wish Oman had some more useful routes.
Old Jul 15, 15, 8:21 pm

I am happy to give EK a try one day but, from what I am reading, I would rank them very much in third place for the ME carriers.
This is what I really don't understand.

Ever since the QR and EY announcements that they were to start service from EDI, I have made a point of coming to their sub fora. I had previously spent most of my FT time on the EK one.

The more I read here, and on the EY one, the less tempted I am to switch allegiances.
Old Jul 16, 15, 3:18 am

Clearly a difference in perception then ...all subjective I guess. If you are ex Edi surely EY & QR would be preferable to transferring down to LHR? Do you not rate the QR 787?

Fyi, I note you were in the One World lounge at DOH - is that right? I will agree that the main QR pax business lounge is a bitter disappointment because, as far as I'm concerned, it is flashy doesn't do the basics at all well. But I've read bad things about the EK lounges at DXB being beyond capacity?

+ they serve Krug in Doh which apparently is amazing and worth dedicating your travels and life to QR for )
Old Jul 16, 15, 5:21 am

Clearly a difference in perception then ...all subjective I guess. If you are ex Edi surely EY & QR would be preferable to transferring down to LHR? Do you not rate the QR 787?

Fyi, I note you were in the One World lounge at DOH - is that right? I will agree that the main QR pax business lounge is a bitter disappointment because, as far as I'm concerned, it is flashy doesn't do the basics at all well. But I've read bad things about the EK lounges at DXB being beyond capacity?

+ they serve Krug in Doh which apparently is amazing and worth dedicating your travels and life to QR for )
I use EK ex GLA.

EDI is closer so I would be easier to go with QR (or EY), but the chauffeur in even the cheapest J seats helps with the extra travel.

EK Lounges were busy when T3 first opened, but now another Concourse has been added and more lounges opened, I never find them too bad. I'm not as frequent a user as many so there may still be busy periods. I've never been in a Doha Lounge.

Dom Perignon '03 Rose is the one that gets banged on about over at EK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: