FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 pm
aza72

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by expatinAMS
Long time listener, first time caller. Got denied the CSP and wanted to provide an interesting data point and experience. I am under the maybe-existing 5 card limit, with a Citi, Chase United, AMEX (charge, not credit), CapitalOne card open under the last 2 years, and had a Chase Sapphire (not preferred) for 4 years before I closed it (stupidly, maybe) in January because I moved abroad. AU on my husbands Chase United card. 765 FICO score, 9 years of credit.

Called 3 times over the last couple days and tried to get them to reconsider, citing the AU and the AMEX being a charge not a credit and asking is 3 cards (or what I consider 3 cards) really too many? Thought I'd go with the ol' "keep calling until you get a yes" approach. The last time I called just now and was told as soon as I gave my reference information that "I see on the account you've already called a couple times regarding this application, and we have already explained that you have opened too many cards in the past 2 years. What further questions do you have?" Was not expecting that one. Any one else been told that they are tracking their number of calls?

Also, resolution of that call was the rep telling me that under no condition would my application be reopened no matter what. Oy vey.
I respect your persistence, and welcome to FlyerTalk! Goes against what other people have said where they have gotten them to disregard the AU cards. Sounds like you got a particular punitive CSR who wrote a note in your account. Chalk it up to the mysteries of the new rules!

If you aren't in it for the bonus, I have heard of people reopening closed cards, which you could then try to upgrade. But not sure if this is possible after so long.