FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:54 am
drvannostren

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/busi...a440455d2.html

Questions hover over Air Canada subsidiary Rouge on second anniversary
Ehh...I simply don't agree with the article.

People who live downtown Vancouver are not going to drive to YXX to save $100 or maybe $200. Those are the same people IMO that aren't driving to BLI for flights to LAS. I think the YXX flight is brilliant for the right people. My sister and her family currently live in Langley. It's 20 something minutes to YXX, 40 minutes to YVR. It's a family of 4, if they wanna fly to Toronto for some reason, parking, spending less time in the car, price are all factors that'll definitely lead them to a Rouge flight from YXX. It's perfect for them and if the prices are good then that's awesome. I don't see that as diluting, I just see it as options. NY has LGA/JFK/EWR, people fly to all of them for different reasons. There's no reason YXX can't have the small presence WS has and then add some Rouge flights.

I think the author doesn't give passengers enough credit. I think most infrequent fliers turn into idiots when they get to the airport. Don't mean to be insulting, but when someone asks where US check-in is as they stand under a sign with a US flag pointing left...But I don't think a passenger is going to buy a LGW ticket thinking it's Heathrow, or buy a Rouge flight to LGW thinking they'll be sitting pretty in mainline J. If they do, then they're just not thinking straight. The biggest follie to come out of confusion I think would be if AC starts booking connections LGW/LHR-outward. I don't think they'll be doing that, because it's fraught with disaster. I know NH does it for NRT/HND and maybe it works really well but I think unseasoned "Rougers" would make a meal of it.

Lastly, I can't buy the YWG-YYZ-LHR thing. If you're buying a Rouge ticket, from what I've seen (admittedly haven't done extensive research) it's only cheap if you're flying Rouge and nothing else. YWG-YYZ-LGW would put you on mainline first, and sure if you JUST took the YWG-YYZ the price might be ridiculous, we've all seen that, but they're not likely to sell you the same leg AND LGW for less than they're selling the individual flight. A one off? MAYBE, but certainly never on a regular basis.

When did this reconfig happen? Is it going on for all the 319s? I've flown YYC-LAX and SFO-YVR and both were the 3 seat middle block system. SFO flight was in March.