FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Lost Power
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:05 am
djohannw

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Honestly I think the OP is in fact due some type of refund or compensation from the hotel, based on the fact that they did not fulfill their end of the contract, no matter the reason.

The thing is we all make our hotel reservations based not only on the fact that we will be provided with a room and a bed, but also take the amenities that come with that room into account when making a reservation - otherwise we all would stay at a Motel 6 type property. Electricity and especially hot water, but also Internet and television, are part of this package when I pay the contracted rate - if they do not deliver some of those, the hotel just did not live up to the expectations it created when making the offer to sell me their room.

And it is certainly not out of their control, the could have e.g. emergency power generators available that would jump in when the utility serving the area was not delivering energy as they promised to keeping up at least the essential services - if the hotel did not have that, they made the decision that this is not important or worth the risk, so if the risk materializes they need to make up for the consequences of their willingly-made decision.

So all in all I think the hotel owes the OP some compensation, and if it was me, it was a full refund for the night where I had to shower with cold water in a dark bathroom and then some points for the remaining nights where - while power and electricity was restored - several advertised services where not available.

Greetings - Dirk