Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Lost Power

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hotel Lost Power

Quick question for those who may know. I'm staying in New Jersey this week and there was a giant storm that knocked out all of the power at the hotel I was staying at.

Now obviously I understand this is a natural disaster but I paid full price for a room with no working electricity for a night. I'm wondering if this is something I could ask for points compensation for?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
Quick question for those who may know. I'm staying in New Jersey this week and there was a giant storm that knocked out all of the power at the hotel I was staying at.

Now obviously I understand this is a natural disaster but I paid full price for a room with no working electricity for a night. I'm wondering if this is something I could ask for points compensation for?
Did starwood/SPG or the hotel have anything to do with the power outage? If no, then you have to suck this up, especially if power was out to a region. Even if there were backup generators, I don't believe you're entitled to a refund of any type.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't see this as different from a substantial weather delay on a flight.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:30 pm

Nope. Unless the hotel was somehow negligent, nobody owes you any compensation.

Cheers,
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't see this as different from a substantial weather delay on a flight.
If we're arguing the airline example - I would point out that while you get delayed you do get booked onto another flight with the service you originally paid for.

I mean if you have cable TV and weather knocks out your service, you don't pay for the days you lose service - do you?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Did starwood/SPG or the hotel have anything to do with the power outage? If no, then you have to suck this up, especially if power was out to a region. Even if there were backup generators, I don't believe you're entitled to a refund of any type.
^^
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As soon as I saw the title, I knew it was going to be yet another thread about an undeserved point grab.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
If we're arguing the airline example - I would point out that while you get delayed you do get booked onto another flight with the service you originally paid for.

I mean if you have cable TV and weather knocks out your service, you don't pay for the days you lose service - do you?
A friend of mine got his night comped at a Vegas strip hotel a couple of weeks ago because water was out for the whole day. But I believe that was only for the hotel he was in and not the entire area.

In your case, I believe it differs from situation to another. If you actually live in the area and your main purpose for staying at the hotel was for the power, then yes I think you should get some sort of compensation (only if they promised that their power will remain on). Other than that, all I can think is for you requesting to be checked out early and have them waive the early departure fee.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The hotel could be gracious and grant some points or comp the night, but I would not demand it. However, if leaving early is an option, then there should be no issue cutting the rez short and no departure fees.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One of my usual hotels had a power outage on a hot afternoon, and they told us to go to a movie where it was cool and they'd pay for it.

Creative, and made the customers happy.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
One of my usual hotels had a power outage on a hot afternoon, and they told us to go to a movie where it was cool and they'd pay for it.

Creative, and made the customers happy.
Awesome service recovery.^
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:13 pm

I'm staying in New Jersey this week and there was a giant storm that knocked out all of the power at the hotel I was staying at.
This is a case where details matter. Exactly how long was the power outage? What where the hours of the outage?

If the hotel did lose all power, then you be worrying about safety, not compensation. While life safety systems like emergency lighting are designed to run without power, they can't run indefinitely.

In the aftermath of any natural disaster, it's smart to ask the hotel about their life safety systems. But, don't panic if the Front Desk representative is clueless. That's a question for a manager or hotel engineer/maintenance.

In perfect world, all hotels would be prepared. Since we don't live in that world, it's smart to ask.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Despite not being the hotel's fault, I'd expect to see some kind of recovery though.

Because you'd expect the full service when you pay full price at a hotel.
But current weather in NJ seems comfortable enough to sleep in without AC.

I'd be worried about charging my phone etc though.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by miloworld
Despite not being the hotel's fault, I'd expect to see some kind of recovery though.

Because you'd expect the full service when you pay full price at a hotel.
But current weather in NJ seems comfortable enough to sleep in without AC.

I'd be worried about charging my phone etc though.
Service recovery for what exactly? So what this is a full service hotel. This was a natural disastor, not a blown fuse or situation where the hotel cause the power outage.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it was a night where AC was really needed, then if you had asked, you should have been given the option to moving to a hotel with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.