FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:28 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by boybi
How about this:

Budget airlines with fares 150% of legacy. But the budget airline flies from an airport 45min away from home.

Or...

Legacy (cheaper than budget), but will fly from airport 2-3hrs away with moderate road traffic, add another hour if there's heavy traffic.
Well, it wouldn't make sense if the budget airline was 150% of legacy AND further away, but I think you mean significantly less in cost but requiring a drive.

For the longest time we had a situation like that in ATL, as Southwest was in Birmingham in the late 80s and onward, if memory serves, and they'd do these $200 RT fares to western cities at a time when DL was really burning a hole in peoples' wallets after Eastern went under. Southwest didn't come to ATL until the AirTran deal, so there were a lot of years of people checking BHM.

OTOH, my first California trip at $198 RT required not only the 150-mile drive but connections in BNA and PHX (i.e. three flights) to get to ONT (not LAX). I might balk at jumping through so many hoops these days.

Though if you live in a city with a massive airport like ATL, it can actually be pleasant every once in a while to leave instead from one like CHA or GSP where your gate-to-car time is much less and you probably won't get long check-in or TSA lines.