FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking Young & Being MileagePlus Elite [2015]
Old May 28, 2015, 6:51 am
awu25

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I never really noticed how UA employees profile younger travelers until I read the above thread, and saw it for myself today.

This morning as I entered the Premier line to check my bag, a lady saw me coming and asked, "Premier?". I nodded my head in affirmation and said "Yes". I went to walk past her and she stopped me and asked for my boarding pass as if she didn't believe me. Really?

Then as I'm getting on my connecting flight later, the gate agent tried to give me a green gate check tag. I told her politely that I'd like to have my bag on the plane, and that it fits fine in the overhead. She then quipped back, almost angrily, "How do you even know what plane I have?". I quickly said, "It's a CRJ 700, right?" She looked at me with a weird look and tried to argue that the bins are small, saying that this one in particular has less space. I then said, "Actually this is one of the new CRJ 700 V2s, and the bins are actually a little bit larger". She gave up and just said, "Well I guess you know your stuff".

I think that if you're under 25 and dress casually on travel days, employees just assume you don't travel much, and that there's no way you travel regularly for business.
I've never had a problem saying I'm 1K as a youngster in casual clothes. I would like them asking for proof otherwise anyone can say they're premier.

I think any gate agent, regardless of how old you are, will hand you a green tag bag. They are not familiar with how large or small the bins are and will try and enforce the green tag as much as they can. If I know my bag will fit on the plane, I just take the green tag and tell the FA it can fit.