Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking Young & Being MileagePlus Elite [2015]

Old May 27, 15, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG RA (Spire), MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, National EE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I never really noticed how UA employees profile younger travelers until I read the above thread, and saw it for myself today.

This morning as I entered the Premier line to check my bag, a lady saw me coming and asked, "Premier?". I nodded my head in affirmation and said "Yes". I went to walk past her and she stopped me and asked for my boarding pass as if she didn't believe me. Really?

Then as I'm getting on my connecting flight later, the gate agent tried to give me a green gate check tag. I told her politely that I'd like to have my bag on the plane, and that it fits fine in the overhead. She then quipped back, almost angrily, "How do you even know what plane I have?". I quickly said, "It's a CRJ 700, right?" She looked at me with a weird look and tried to argue that the bins are small, saying that this one in particular has less space. I then said, "Actually this is one of the new CRJ 700 V2s, and the bins are actually a little bit larger". She gave up and just said, "Well I guess you know your stuff".

I think that if you're under 25 and dress casually on travel days, employees just assume you don't travel much, and that there's no way you travel regularly for business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 15 at 8:21 pm Reason: Split out as a seperate thread
Old May 27, 15, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 View Post
I think that if you're under 25 and dress casually on travel days, employees just assume you don't travel much, and that there's no way you travel regularly for business.
I'm 25 and this is part of the reason I try to dress up a bit for travel. I find that I get far better treatment in slacks and a button-down than I ever would in a hoodie and jeans (even though I only travel for personal reasons). They are slightly less surprised when they find out I have premier status.
Old May 27, 15, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trainsplanes View Post
I'm 25 and this is part of the reason I try to dress up a bit for travel. I find that I get far better treatment in slacks and a button-down than I ever would in a hoodie and jeans (even though I only travel for personal reasons).
This happens for everyone, whether they are 25 or 40.
Old May 27, 15, 6:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Wear a nice watch, and even with crappy looking clothes, you are perceived as a substantial traveler.
Old May 28, 15, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
When I started traveling significantly many years ago, I was accused of using my father's 1k card once, and multiple times of using his RCC card. I was a young looking 25. My father doesn't even have the same name.

It was really annoying at the time (would be a bit of a compliment now), and in one situation ended with the RCC person being reprimanded by their supervisor for making baseless assumptions.
Old May 28, 15, 5:39 am

This morning as I entered the Premier line to check my bag, a lady saw me coming and asked, "Premier?". I nodded my head in affirmation and said "Yes". I went to walk past her and she stopped me and asked for my boarding pass as if she didn't believe me. Really?
This pretty much happens to everyone regardless of how old you appear to be.
Old May 28, 15, 6:04 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Dude (or Dudettin as the case may be), I no longer get this BS from the elite UA gate staff, but the price I pay is being 60+. I'd trade places with you in a nanosecond. Perhaps you'd trade places with me. The price could be low. That's how Satan stays in business ....

Oh, wait. Satin runs the damn airline.
Old May 28, 15, 6:46 am

I've never had this issue, but I usually travel business casual or at least "casual friday" most of the time. Then again, its not like I'm a GS and boarding first, just a silver or gold.
Old May 28, 15, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott LT Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I never really noticed how UA employees profile younger travelers until I read the above thread, and saw it for myself today.

Then as I'm getting on my connecting flight later, the gate agent tried to give me a green gate check tag. I told her politely that I'd like to have my bag on the plane, and that it fits fine in the overhead. She then quipped back, almost angrily, "How do you even know what plane I have?". I quickly said, "It's a CRJ 700, right?" She looked at me with a weird look and tried to argue that the bins are small, saying that this one in particular has less space. I then said, "Actually this is one of the new CRJ 700 V2s, and the bins are actually a little bit larger". She gave up and just said, "Well I guess you know your stuff".

I've never had a problem saying I'm 1K as a youngster in casual clothes. I would like them asking for proof otherwise anyone can say they're premier.

I think any gate agent, regardless of how old you are, will hand you a green tag bag. They are not familiar with how large or small the bins are and will try and enforce the green tag as much as they can. If I know my bag will fit on the plane, I just take the green tag and tell the FA it can fit.
Old May 28, 15, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC

I bet 95%+ of the people flying, regardless of age, wouldn't know that info and would be treated the same way!

That said, I have generally found that when I'm in domestic F or J, I am almost always the most casually dressed. I think my beard helps cover for my late-20s youthfulness and casual wear Never had any issues with how I am treated.
Old May 28, 15, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold

This morning as I entered the Premier line to check my bag, a lady saw me coming and asked, "Premier?".
I almost never get asked or see anyone get asked. Infact, that's why I usually see kettles in line infront of me, I've started just going to the GS/First line if no one is there. Ofcourse even there, I once had to check a bag after the cutoff and had the agent ask me for money. I said, "I'm 1K", she typed in the computer and said "Oh Sorry, I had no way of knowing". I took that to mean the lanes are meaningless.

Then as I'm getting on my connecting flight later, the gate agent tried to give me a green gate check tag. I told her politely that I'd like to have my bag on the plane, and that it fits fine in the overhead. She then quipped back, almost angrily, ...
That seems to happen to everyone regadless of status. Although I notice that if you're boarding in Group 1, they tend to let things slide more. Just insist and they usually let you try.

I certainly don't typically travel like a business man. I'm in my early 30's though. On long haul trips, I stop caring about looks and dress for comfort looking like a teenager. So far, I haven't been profiled too much.
Old May 28, 15, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hahah I know the feeling, I hit 1K the first time when I was 24. agents would try to stop me from boarding the plane (they wouldn't even bother looking at the boarding pass), and just tell me that they were only boarding first class and 1ks at the moment. i'd just stand there holding out my boarding pass until they'd take it.

(more often than not when i was traveling leisure vs. business and dressed accordingly).

old pmUA used to give me some nice compensation when i'd complain about it too (I'd only complain if it got really bad, the minor stuff i'd just chuckle at). then a couple years later my hair started falling out and no one questioned me regardless of what I was wearing

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I certainly don't typically travel like a business man. I'm in my early 30's though. On long haul trips, I stop caring about looks and dress for comfort looking like a teenager. So far, I haven't been profiled too much.
yep. this.
Old May 28, 15, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

me and the wife got stopped at the boarding gate at MUC heading to IAD because we were super casually dressed (super hot outside ). We were in business class, but it was a surprise for my wife whom I kept telling we are in coach (she bought it). At the business class/ *G / premier lane for boarding, the over zealous agent rudely told me, economy class is there (pointing to the economy lanes). I said I am 1k, to no avail and then I had to break the surprise and tell the agent, "lady we are in business class" and she insisted on seeing our BPs and just gave us a look and let us pass....
Old May 28, 15, 7:27 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
I am 75 and a 1K and I wear Nike jogging paints, nice T shirt, and runners. I usually fly up in front when I can, I have never been treated rudely or questioned by any UA staff on the ground or in the air. I think one's demeanor and personality play a big part.
Old May 28, 15, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
I am 75 and a 1K and I wear Nike jogging paints, nice T shirt, and runners. I usually fly up in front when I can, I have never been treated rudely or questioned by any UA staff on the ground or in the air. I think one's demeanor and personality play a big part.
I respectfully disagree. There were plenty of times I was boarding LAX-SFO on a saturday morning with my Cal t-shirt and jeans and a smile on my face because I was going up to watch what, at the time, was a great cal football team, and would still get stopped in the boarding lane despite my "good morning" to the gate agent as i handed him/her the boarding pass.

edit: on 2nd thought maybe they just didn't like Cal

Last edited by ACVBear; May 28, 15 at 7:43 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: