FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wanna Get Away - Nov 29 (Sunday after Thanksgiving)
Old May 15, 2015, 7:22 pm
mfFrom35K

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
I started this thread because I could not find a single WGF on 11/29 and I still can't and I have not seen anyone post information to the contrary. SW can see fit to maximize its revenue anyway it wants but this is different behavior than last year and will likely change soon enough as SW will lose too many customers.

Right now on Google Flights I can find 1 AA flight from BOS to ORD on 11/29 for a deeply discounted $214 one-way and 9 AA flights for a slightly less discounted $253 one-way. SW cheapest fare right now for BOS to MDW is a $400 Anytime fare.

I expect fares on 11/29 to be higher than other days but I also expect more fare buckets will be opened once SW feels they got all the people who are not price sensitive and want to book right away and won't keep on top of it.

Anytime and business fares are fully refundable. So anyone who books can simply re-book once this nonsense is over.

Honestly, I think this is stupid and ill conceived if this really is a system wide strategy. They would be better off with higher bucket non-refundable WGF fares. Of course I am going to use points making them quite refundable but many buyers wouldn't and would be locked into spending dollars with SW once they pull the trigger.

Am I missing something here? I sure doubt SW is going to wait until AA sells out before selling non-refundable seats in the Boston to Chicago market at or close to the Anytime/Business prices. It just isn't going to happen.