FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On BA, "OK" does not mean confirmed...
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:45 pm
Ken hAAmer

I just realized I once took an economy class flight on BA from LHR to HAM. And ya know what? Nowhere on the ticket did it state that first or business class tickets would be allowed to get off the plane before the rest of us. The b*st*rds!!! D*mn them! D*mn them all to h*ll! Let thy money go with thee to perdition!

Speaking of which, have you seen Tom Hank's new movie "Road to Perdition?" I saw it last night. I wasn't going to, but several critics lauded it, with one even saying it's the year's first Oscar contender.

But I was kinda disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was that great. A lot of predictable cliches, compounded with the casting of Tom Hank's as a nice hitman.

Well, maybe not exactly nice, but fatherly, and rather un-hitman like. But Hank's past has caught up to him, and I suspect most, like me, find it hard to visualize as a bad guy. He's just too darn nice. You know, Forrest Gump.

He's still a very good actor, and pleasant to watch. A great voice, and a charming personality keep viewers interested, as does the always capable Paul Newman in a supporting role. But Hanks is just too type cast.

Now, if you want to see a truly great actor, check out Ben Kingsley. In a way, he's even better than my current choice of "best actor" Billy Bob Thornton (Sling Blade, A Simple Plan, Monster's Ball, The Man Who Wasn't There, etc.)

Too see just how good Kingsley is, first rent Ghandi, the life story of Mohandas Ghandi, who cleverly outwitted the British at every turn, until they eventually had no options but to abandon India. Never a raised fist or angry voice, yet he defeated the British Empire.

Let it sink in for a few days so you get the real feeling of this peaceful man. Then rent Sexy Beast. You'll never turn the lights out again, and live in fear, dazed and confused, for the rest of your days.

Kingsley plays an over the edge, way over, gangster, who I've best heard described as "unhinged." He's the ultimate anti-Ghandi, and you'll never again think of him as that little man in the loin cloth, no matter how many times you rent Ghandi.

Still it would have been fun to watch Hanks in "Perdition" taunt his "hit" with something like "Life is like a box of choclates" just before he fills him full of lead. And while it's good to taunt some things (and in this thread, pretty much obligatory) there is one very important exception.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball(tm).