FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - who else is sick to death of being bullied by "FAA regulations"?
Old Feb 24, 2002, 11:05 pm
AS Flyer

You guys sound like a broken record. How many threads on here need to be devoted to people whining about their rights being violated?

When you buy an airline ticket you are agreeing to a contract. Everyone seems to remember that when they feel their contractual rights have been violated. Everyone conveniently forgets when the airlines invoke their right to enforce their side of the contract. The airlines are permitted to ask any security question of you they deem appropriate. They are permitted to search your person or belongings that you are carrying with you if they so desire. Airlines are not public utilities. Flying is not your "right". It's a business like any other and they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone just as you reserve the right to take your business elsewhere if you don't like the way they treat you. There is always Amtrak, cruise ships or your car if you find the current security procedures a violation of your civil rights. I, for one, as a VERY frequent flier, am glad to see that the airlines and the government are more aware of whats going on underneath their noses. My hope is that they fine tune these security procedures and soon we can all travel, once again, without the hassles we are currently enduring. Until then, I will be patient and plan accordingly, giving myself ample time to get through security. If current procedures were violating anyones rights you can be sure that there would be a group of lawyers all over it already. I've yet to hear of any broad scope lawsuits in this regard. There have been several very specific incidents of violations but not as broad and general as you all seem to imply. Please correct me if I'm wrong.