FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2015, 6:46 pm
Dimling

I'm currently at SK910 on my way home from EWR. I signed up for optiontown both ways, both classes. Towards EWR i got upgraded from Go to Plus.
20 hours before my home flight I got an email from SAS offering me upgrade to Plus for Dkk 1.599.
The price I paid earlier to Optiontown for the home flight was DKK 1.250. 16 hours before my flight I got the email from Optiontown telling I didn't get any upgrade to either class.
For the sake of it I tried the link SAS send me 10 hours before my flight and I could buy an upgrade to Plus, but didn't.
When I arrived in the airport this afternoon there was a lady selling upgrades to Plus just before the checkin counter. She was pushing the new cabin and the lounge. I asked for the price and available seats. The price was DKK 950 and there were one aisle seat and a lot of middelseats. I didn't want to give up my window seat, so I'm enjoying the new cabin from 43H.
I don't know if this is the new style from SAS, wanting to sell the free seats instead of Optiontown, but one big difference in my mind is the upgrade from SAS don’t give you the points from the higher class as Optiontown does. Buying the upgrade from SAS is similar to be upgraded for points and then I would rather use my points than paying extra money.
I don’t hope SAS is taking this business from Optiontown, since it’s a cheap way to get the extra points from the upgrades.