FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:40 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
Re: FCC law. since this was Voip - it may not fit in the category of the ban, as it seems the intention of the law, was to forbid cellular usage - not data. Cellular connections were presumed to possibly effect the planes signals. voip is data - hence it may not fit into the ban.
I admit, I'm no expert on FAA regs regarding cell phones, or FCC regs. However if it is actually as posted - something like "no voice communication using cell phones", then I don't think it matters. Intention, when it was written, probably didn't envision VOIP, I get it. However, until it is challenged and a court rules otherwise, or the reg is changed to clarify it (i.e. that the ban on voice communication specifically refers to calls over a cell phone network, or specifically excludes VOIP calls) then the reg is the reg - a ban of voice communication is just that.

In this case, its irrelevant, because United rules are essentially are the law until you leave the plane. Sure, maybe you can't be arrested for ignoring it. But when an FA tells you to stop breaking UA rules, and you don't, you can be arrested upon landing for ignoring flight crew instructions.