FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Renaming Car Rental Programs/Partners & adding forum
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:10 am
greg99

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Let me ask the naysayers: How much harm could possibly occur if we agree to open a new forum for ride-service companies and nobody shows up to post? Maybe we look a little silly? Jumped the gun? So what? We are making a good-faith effort to provide a home for really relevant information about rapidly growing new service providers. And we're moving too fast? I just don't get it.
Despite having been around for a long time, I've never actually weighed in on a TB issue. I also have to acknowledge a financial interest in one of the companies that would likely be discussed in this forum.

All that said, I'm still not sure why this needs a separate forum. We don't have a forum for taxis, for instance.

I get that these companies may have partnerships with companies that are traditionally discussed here on FT and that they may be of interest to participants here.

But that leads to a philosophical question for TB - what is the overall strategy around centralization vs. decentralization of discussion? Personally, I think a separate ride-sharing forum gets this balance wrong.

If, for instance, I want to hear about or discuss Uber partnerships with UA or SPG, I don't want to have to know to go to another forum to do so. I want to hear about them and discuss them in the forums I'm already participating in.

Part of what I'm concerned about (and please don't tag me for comments re: moderation) is, for example a post that I made about something very specific to the UA terminal at EWR being moved from the UA forum to the NYC forum. I kind of get what the rationale is, but I, for instance, never visit the NYC forum, and that particular subject was of interest to people who transit through EWR and never actually step foot in NYC proper.

I'm concerned about similar moderation decisions being made, which, in my view wouldn't make sense.

Greg