FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:25 pm
Anomalychick

Programs: AA is all for now.
We are not special agents or spies!

So, I had an experience yesterday I figured some of you might find interesting. First I need to explain my city. Its very large in terms of landmass, and it's broken into different sections. These sections are somewhat stratisfied in terms of socioeconomic status. We have small areas with fairly affluent populations, and other areas where nearly everyone is poor. We also have 8 Targets. 3 of them are located in wealthy areas. While the RC is officially available nowhere in Florida, one of these stores did carry it for approximately one month as a "pilot". The card is now no longer available there although I did purchase mine during that brief test.
I have been attempting to pick up a second AFT to cut down on ATM withdrawal fees, and my local target no longer carries it. (I would love a second RC for family as well and didn't want to resort to ebay.) So I started calling every target in my city, and inquired as to whether or not they currently carry either prepaid product. (It seems that none of them do anymore.) In the process of doing this, I made the following discovery.
The three targets in the wealthier areas were all extremely familiar with the RC. One girl mentioned that her store has a crowd of people that comes in regularly and loads ridiculous amounts of money onto it although she has no idea where they all got them from of why they're putting so much money on it. A girl from another store muttered something along the lines of not knowing exactly what i wanted it for but if I was like the rest of their customers it probably wasn't for its intended use. It made me remember that on my last visit to the target in the wealthiest area, as soon as I pulled the card out the rep (who i'd never seen before) asked me for the last 4 of my CC BEFORE I indicated I'd be paying that way. When I only asked to load $200, the rep looked shocked.
As for the 5 targets in the poorer areas? Not a single person I spoke to HAD EVER HEARD OF A PREPAID RC!. One of them brought me a supervisor, who had vaguely heard of it only in the context that some store in the city was running a test with it but he'd never seen one and didn;t know anything about it.
So, for all of you who continue to delude yourself that somewhere far away from this message board there is a large mass of people who are using this card to survive because they can't have a checking account, I hate to burst your bubble. We cannot hide our ridiculous amount of CC churning in their midst because I am beginning to suspect that THERE ARE NO TRADITIONAL RC USERS. This card has spread like wildfire among people who enjoy a middle class or higher standard of living (people who can get credit and afford to float funds) and has been completely ignored by the group its been marketed towards.
There is absolutely NO way that target hasn't noticed this. You think they won't notice that no RCs are ever loaded in areas just wealthy enough to have a target VS the huge revenue increase in the "better located" targets? (Including the targets in places where the RC is not even available!) Believe me, they know EXACTLY what's going on. At this point we are as obvious as children covered head to toe in ink while still insisting nobody will ever know we were the one that pulled the fire alarm. How much this will play into Target's decision of whether or not to allow it to continue, I cannot say, but we are nowhere near as sneaky as we think we are.