FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:16 pm
travel light

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by protagonist
My city allows real estate tax to be paid by check or cash with no fee, but charges usurious fees to pay with a credit card and I assume debit card (credit cards go through a third party called Unipay).

If I try to pay my real estate tax with my Redcard and give the city clerk's office as the address (where payments are addressed if by check), will it go through as cash or a check (as if I mailed a check myself)?

Or will it go through as a credit/debit card transaction which would trigger the fees?

And if this would work, should I list the city as a "business" or "personal" payee? (It is technically neither- it is a government).

Or would the better approach be to take the money out via ATM and pay in person, or transfer the money to a bank account and pay with a personal check (to avoid the fee) ? I assume these would work but adds another layer of complexity.

I'm new to Redcard. Still learning. Thanks in advance.
I would have a check made out to the city tax collector, but mailed to my address. Then include the voucher when you mail or bring the payment in. Allow ample time--there are many reports of delays in Redbird mailed payments.