FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:56 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm all for green options and programs, even though I know some of it is more to benefit the property than the guest.

I'm tired of properties that talk green (whine about the detergent and water it takes to wash towels and linens) yet don't train staff to follow through with your instructions (they renew towels and linens regardless of hanging up towels and not using change tags.

I'm tired of properties that engage in green initiatives and fail to restruct water usage by the various devices available through modern plumbing technology. Particularly in places with water limitations and droughts, like the U.S. West.

I'm frankly tired of properties that claim "green" iniciative and provide only covered duvets of the kind you'd need in 1950s-60s winter Europe when heat was marginal, without sheets, which require you to crank on rhe air con to take the room to meat locker temperatures overnight to get a comfortable sleep.

I'm at the Sheraton Lisboa, where they get some of it - not all - right. I'm here for five nights, booked via SPG, so this is a MAGC eligible stay. I'll see if I get MAGC credit tonight. My perspective:

Positive: we change linens weekly in my home; they'll not change linens daily here.

They actually respect your expressed wish of using your towels once more by leaving them hanging up.

They provide a bin / wastebasket in-room for glass and plastc, and ask that paper be left on rhe floor next to rhe bin.

The electric blind allows you to cut down sun and heat when it's hot (our high floor room has a southern exposure).

Neutral: I'm not sure who is being served - or shorted - when I'm offered 5€ f&b credit or 500 points when I don't use housekeeping.

The card key operated master electric switch (usually easily bypassed with an old, generic hotel keycard) may actually use more power to bring room temperature back to that desired by the guest, and it can be inconvenient to wait 1/2 an hour or longer to bring the room to habitability.

Negative: the lovely pivoting double arm hansgrohe rain shower and other bathroom fixtutes use massive amounts of water.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm