FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 am
JackieC2

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Arriving at 4:35 pm on UA flight to NRT. It was $600 cheaper to book to NRT rather than KIX. I would like to stay in Osaka at the Hilton for a few days since I have points for a free stay rather than Kyoto where I plan to visit for 2 to 3 days.

ANA has some good prices if flying on a Star Alliance flight, but it looks like the last flight of the day leaves about 5:00 pm.

Would you recommend that I stay close to the airport and fly out in the morning or take the train? Any other options?

Originally Posted by jib71
Take the train. (Narita Express to Shinagawa. Then Shinkansen to Shin Osaka. And then local train to Osaka).
You'll get to the Osaka Hilton by 10:30 ~ 11:00pm
Appreciate the advice. I decided to take the train, but want to do it in the morning. Think I will be tired after 24 hours with little sleep.

So next question - should I go into the city and stay somewhere close to the train station instead of staying at the Hilton at the airport? is there a Hilton close to Shinagawa? Have lots of Hilton points so I can stay for free.

Is it worth it to get a JR pass? I would use it to go back and forth to Osaka and from Osaka to Kyoto and maybe Nara. Can I use the pass for these destinations?

Thanks so much!!