FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:54 am
plagwate

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by irishPirate
Today, LAX - AUS. On an E175, FC had 11 seats claimed and 1 seat reserved (unclaimed). I was #2 on the UG list. When I don't get an upgrade, I like to wait to be near the last person to board (would rather wait in the gate area than in coach). When I was about to board, I saw that I was #1 on the list and the FC seat was still unclaimed, so I asked the GA about it.

Shena told me she was going to give it to the person who was on the list before me. I told her he boarded already and forfeited his chance. She was nice about it (and so was I) and said she knew the policy but was still going to give it to him. Her reason for still giving it to the other guy was that he might have seen it on his phone. I told her the Delta App wasn't accurate and she agreed, but didn't want to make him upset. I said it was her choice and I boarded the plane and took my seat in coach. I told her I would write a complaint on Delta.com and she said I should do that.

About 10 minutes later, she came on the plane and invited me up to FC. I thanked her a lot and she still insisted that I still write a comment on Delta.com (which I have now done and gave her kudos)

This upgrade policy really needs to be changed. Keep the upgrade list in effect until the cabin door is closed. If that were the case, then the other guy should have gotten the FC seat and not me and I would have been okay with that. As it is now, it only causes problems for medallions and GA's.
I'm not so sure this is "Shena Averted" unless you saw a non-rev hovering around the podium waiting to poach that last FC seat. If anything, the other pax has the right to call foul since the GA boarded the plane to pull you (#2) up instead of him (#1). True, you brought up the "you board, you lose" rule. But you also boarded, albeit reluctantly, so you lose too.