FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VOCIER - suit wrinkle-free in a carry-on
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:31 pm
JMN57

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I'm sorry, but isn't that a solution just looking for a problem?

I have my spinner, gate agent stops me and says "size that bag." No problem - I take the wheels off. It fits.

Now what do I do with the wheels? Am I expected to leave enough room for the wheels in my bag every time I fly? Do I throw them out? Wait until the gate agent isn't looking and pop them back on? I don't get it.

Seems to add a lot of weight to an already heavy bag for a solution which is sub-optimal at best, no?
Not if the removed wheels are not bulky and can be put into a pocket in the bag or personal item. For example, if each wheel was like an office chair caster with a stem that inserted into the bag that were "locked" in and there was a way of "unlocking" them so they could be detached you would have 4 relatively unbulky casters to store.

Once you take the wheels off, you put them in the bag and carry the bag onto the plane.

Why would one do this? Frankly, existing spinners surrender a substantial proportion of the length of the bag & storage space to accommodate the spinner wheels. This method would make the compartment larger and better able to handle a suit. Spinners typically have a 20" compartment rather than a 22" one in a two wheeler.