FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The new 12inch Macbook
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:28 am
WIRunner
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ou81two
It's not a giant conspiracy to get people to upgrade by adding things next year. They removed the floppy drive a long time ago and were the first to do it. It wasn't a ploy to add it later.
Thinking back to when the first iMac dumped the floppy drive I was a Senior in high school and the district bought one of those beasts for every classroom, which from some respects was kinda neat, from another, they were a pain to use (mostly the mouse.) The floppy drive was quickly, and I mean quickly, becoming insufficient. Alternatives such as the Zip drive, the Superdrive, and CD-RWs were becoming common, and flash drives (even though only about 16mb) were starting to pop up. 1.44mb was simply not enough to keep pace with the computers. It was a no brainer.

Here's a bigger picture yet. Apple wants people to be in their "ecosystem." Buy an iPhone, use an iPad, and get a Macbook (pick a flavour.) The bigger problem with only having one port is that there's no lightning port to USB-C cable around yet, which means there's no ability to use a cable to backup, sync, or transfer information between you iDevices (no matter how fast Airdrop is, there's times when a cable is always better.) iPhone going dead, better hope to find a plug if you forgot your dongle.

I get moving forward and leaving behind ineffective technologies, but USB 3.0/3.1 is still current, and the rest of Apple's products rely on it already. Unless the iPhone 6s switches over to USB-C they might have made a foolish choice. But I can see the complaints starting a few months after launch, the lack of a second port limits the device's abilities in general. There's a chance that someone would want to charge the thing, and have something else plugged in at the same time. (SHOCKER!)