FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays credit card verification and reconsideration?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:38 am
djrobsd

Programs: ALL <LOL>
USAIR card rules (probably other Barclays too)

Just called recon for my app being "subject to further review", talked to a very nice lady, here are some of the rules:

-Can NOT re-apply within 180 days or will get kicked for review. They will be glad to review your application. No credit inquiry happens if you get rejected for re-applying too soon, but if you call recon and ask them to reconsider they will ask you if it's ok to pull your credit and do a pull.

-If you close your account and try to apply to a new one (which is why I was rejected), they will kick it out automatically. She said generally 6 months is the rule for this.

I was declined unfortunately, she offered to re-open the existing product. I told her I didn't want to reopen it.

She also politely warned me that if you close and reopen accounts too many times with Barclay just to get the bonuses you can get flagged in their system.

She made it sound like the door was open for me to apply for a different product, just not the US Air one that I was declined for.

Unfortunately, this now means I'm going to have to pay a $150 reinstatement fee for my 34,000 USAir miles I let go dormant, I was hoping to get approved for a new card, which is one of the ways they allow you to get your miles back.

Back story: I have tried to use the miles so many times, but every time I go to book a flight they want 50,000 miles round trip for a domestic flight, which makes zero sense to me when I hear other people booking extravagant international flights for 100,000 miles with their US Air. I should have just put a few purchases a month on my now closed Barclay USAir card to keep it active, but I have cycled through so many other cards in the miles and points game that my poor little USAir card just got forgotten about, so now I gotta pay up to keep the miles, and HOPE and PRAY they become useful when it merges into American.

Anyone know any other ways to get miles back, besides buying a first class ticket or approved for a credit card?