FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:08 pm
Hecta

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by larsok
I don't see why they (AMEX Redbird) would care whether these amounts are round numbers or not. What do you want to hide from them? They see the transaction and know that you load the card with a credit card as payment, whether the amount is round or not.
The only reason to use odd numbers would be to hide the fact that you are loading a re-loadable card from your credit card issuer, so they think it is legitimate spend and not loading a card. So I think it will make no difference whatsoever. Just my 2 cents.
It just may be easier for them to see the repeated $1000, $1000, $500 loads if they are searching for customers abusing the system. Although people loading $856.78 + $724.92 +$918.30 (for example) may take longer to find for Amex, the fact is that they're still loading $2,500 total and most likely $5,000 for the month. I think it depends more on the rapid unloading of the card. I will start loading and then unloading after waiting some time in different amounts and hopefully won't get shutdown.