FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:28 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile...what an utterly awful hotel. Why Marriott lets this place be exempt from honoring elite benefits when their lounge is closed, I have no idea. There's nothing special about it, other than it's a substandard version of a full-service Marriott. The physical building is fine...is the "service" part of full-service that lacks.

Check-in was a total circus. We mobile-checked-in, but the area where the mobile check-in keys were was throng of people doing all sorts of things that weren't mobile check-ins. So I went over to the main check-in desk, where they were able to pull up my reservation...and then the clerk waded through the throng of people at the original desk to get my keys.

My two rooms were originally separated by 8 floors. So I asked the FDC if I could get two closer together, and got a lot of pushback about how that wasn't possible. Another clerk overheard us and was slightly more helpful, getting us at least two on the same floor. None of the rooms were upgrades in any way...wasn't like the one of our original assignments was a suite or something. So basically, I learned that rooms together were available (and probably were all over this large hotel), but they cared so little about us that they didn't think to assign them that way. A friend of mine (Platinum) booked a third room at a walk-up rate of $139, so this hotel obviously wasn't anywhere near full.

I was aware that elites get no benefits at this hotel (other than the 1,000 points that you sometimes must fight them to get posted), but many elites aren't: I overheard two conversations with nearby Plats at check-in who weren't aware of the exemption and who frankly thought it was crap. I agree with the members in this case!!

We booked both of our rooms at a $119 parking-included rate, but we had to fight them at check-out to get the parking charge taken off our bill, even though we booked TWO rooms (both with parking included) and only parked ONE car.