FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:35 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I'm looking to possibly book ZFV-EWR-DEL/BOM in J, and the ZFV-EWR segment is in economy. I realize it's only a 30-45 minute ride, so its really no big deal, just curious why it doesn't ticket to Business Class on the Amtrak sector. As for pricing, starting in ZFV rather than starting in EWR results in a substantial saving. Also, I have the choice of either non-stop on UA, or going through ZRH and connecting onto LX. I've never flown LX. I am not in a huge rush to be honest, so I don't mind the extra stop if the product is better. Given the choice between the two, which would you suggest? Thanks :-)
The simple answer is that Amtrak does not sell bulk fares in business class to United. If Amtrak wanted to and United were willing to, they could, but they don't.

Not that Amtrak Regional business class is anything of note. Half the time, it's a coach car with a piece of paper taped over the word "Coach" and the word "Business" written in with a sharpie. You get a free soda with that.

I will have to leave the UA vs. LX question to others (and it might be better reposted outside this thread where folks familiar with the topic may be more likely to read it). In 3-cabin F, I would certainly choose LX, even with the stop. Having not flown in any of LX's premium cabins, though, I cannot say one way or the other about their business product.