FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:10 pm
berliner5000

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If one looks at it another way, those 2500 RDMs are the equivalent of a kettle spending $500 on DL, which is about two cheap coach RTs. This way it seems like a generous amount of bonus miles for a (hopefully) short wait for the bag.

OTOH, if we use one cent per RDM as the value of miles, then 2500 RDMs = $25, which is roughly the cheapest checked bag fee DL charges (first checked bag for a domestic coach flight with no status and no DL AmEx card).
I don't disagree with you on this: under the new system, Joe would have to spend 500$ to earn those 2,500 RDMs. However, it still means that Joe has to spend another 4,500$ on flights. (I'm not sure if EC purchases earn miles, I don't think they do though). If you're only flying once or twice a year, it still is going to take you a long time to get those miles.

As for the 2500 RDMs = $25, I think (at least on DL and possibly UA) that that notion is gone. Under the new system it takes way too long to earn RDMs (if you don't have a credit card, such as myself) for a ticket anywhere. Personally, I'm hesitant to use my miles because I know that they're much harder to replenish.
But I digress.

In any event, I'll reiterate this point: If DL was sincere about this fast bag guarantee, they would make it a permanent part of their skymiles program (since you have to be a skymiles member to benefit) and perhaps work towards accomplishing what Alaska's already done: speedy delivery of baggage to the carousel.