FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:09 pm
tkelvin69

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by aaflyer1
Hi, I had booked a flight, LAX-LHR-Croatia, return Croatia - LHR-LAX. I had 2 separate itineraries one for the LAX-LHR I purchased and the croatia flights were purchased on miles, all on AA/BA. Today I upgraded my LAX-LHR using evip's, I was able to avoid the luxury departure tax by showing that I was in LHR < 24 hours each way (Thank you everyone on this forum for getting me that far). My question is when I originally purchased the LAX-LHR in Y, they charged me APD, should the APD be refundable in this instance? EXP didn't seem to think so, that I only avoid the extra luxury tax with my stay in London being less than 24 hours. Hope you all can help. Thanks,
The APD "luxury tax" only applies for flights originating out of LHR. There should not have been any UK departure tax on the LAX-LHR segment but there should be something like "PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $81.80 USD UNITED KINGDOM" for you LHR-LAX and no "luxury tax since you aren't originating there.