FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barcelona - Le Meridien vs. Four Points
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:44 pm
reuthermonkey

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The Four Points is on the Rambla de Poblenou, which is a much more authentic Barcelona experience - you'll actually be around locals rather than other tourists. And are more likely to get a decent meal.

I would value the 6k SPG points at about $150. Since the 4 Points is perfectly acceptable - the breakfast is quite good as well - I would struggle to justify paying $170 more per night to be on the Ramblas... But ultimately it comes down to your own budget.
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I wouldn't rule out the Four Points, it's where I always stay in BCN. The hotel is well run (if no frills), and walking distance to a shopping center with a big supermarket and many chain restaurants. But the highlight for me is it's right on one end of the Rambla in the Poblenou neighborhood. It's quiet, mostly full of locals and lined with amazing restaurants. I love buying a coffee or ice cream and just sitting on one of the many benches as the locals go about their day. The beach is at the other end of the Rambla (maybe 15-20 minute walk). It's got a subway station a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

But, I'm sure I'm one of the few that prefer the 4pts to the other hotels. I just love the neighborhood that much.
Originally Posted by gojko88
I couldn't agree more. The Barcelona Four Points is one of the best-value properties in Europe, the neighbourhood is lovely, and I always appreciate being able to enjoy a peaceful walk in an otherwise teeming city. Yes, you have to rely on public transport to get to the sights, but for me, that's really just another way of experiencing the local pace of life.
As others have noted, the LeM is in a great location if you want to be in the touristy area. However, I personally prefer the Four Points as well. The hotel itself is great. There are countless food options (imho, way better than Las Ramblas), it has a far more local feel, and the price is right. So really, it just depends on what your personal preference is. Really though, you can't go wrong either way.