Barcelona - Le Meridien vs. Four Points

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Barcelona - Le Meridien vs. Four Points

Looking at a four night stay in Barcelona in March...

Le Meridien is available for Cash & Points at 6k SPG + $110 / night
Four Points is available for 80 Euro (~$92) / night

Is the Le Meridien worth 6k points + $18 / night over the Four Points?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Le Meridien is in a great location, walk out the front door and you are in the middle of the action. The other option is the Mandarin but at 10x the cost.

As a Platinum we were not upgraded but the hotel was extremely busy. The staff were outstanding and helpful. Service was up to par with the service we received at Hotel Arts.

I would stay here again for those times when our pocket book is a little light and we can't swing the Mandarin or Hotel Arts.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:49 am

I stayed in both hotels and the difference you are mentioning of 6k points + $18 / night is really worth it.

Although both hotels are fine, the location of Le Meridien is in the heart of the city, at Las Ramblas and close to Plaza Catalunya and the tourist areas. Le Meridien offers very nice rooms and it seems that the furniture was renovated not too long ago.

Four Points is not in the tourist area, it is located in the business district of @22 next to headquarters of media and tech companies. This hotel belonged to another brand, but at some point in 2011 the franchise was changed to Starwood Hotels. Rooms are really fine and also the service is great. In addition, the shopping centre of Glories is nearby. However, you will need to take a taxi, the tramway or the metro of Glories to go to any other place. Usually this hotel has some good rates, compared to the other two Starwood properties in the city of Barcelona (W and Le Meridien).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Check galahotels.com for a possible Best Rate Guarantee on the Four Points. You'll get an additional 20% discount. (I've done many a mattress run at the Four Points with the BRG)

The Four Points is on the Rambla de Poblenou, which is a much more authentic Barcelona experience - you'll actually be around locals rather than other tourists. And are more likely to get a decent meal.

I would value the 6k SPG points at about $150. Since the 4 Points is perfectly acceptable - the breakfast is quite good as well - I would struggle to justify paying $170 more per night to be on the Ramblas... But ultimately it comes down to your own budget.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
The Le Meridien is in a great location, walk out the front door and you are in the middle of the action. The other option is the Mandarin but at 10x the cost.

As a Platinum we were not upgraded but the hotel was extremely busy. The staff were outstanding and helpful. Service was up to par with the service we received at Hotel Arts.

I would stay here again for those times when our pocket book is a little light and we can't swing the Mandarin or Hotel Arts.
Barcelona has some very good and interesting boutique hotels, often located in historic buildings but done in contemporary style like LM. I like the area up (north) from Plaza Catalunya, on both sides of Paseo de Gracia, up to Diagonal.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Barcelona has some very good and interesting boutique hotels, often located in historic buildings but done in contemporary style like LM. I like the area up (north) from Plaza Catalunya, on both sides of Paseo de Gracia, up to Diagonal.
THIS! I would honestly recommend not staying at an SPG property when traveling to Barcelona unless you're really set on it.

For business, fine, but for personal travel, at least in my own case, I spend ZERO time at the hotel. I walked the entire city while I was in Barcelona. For a place you likely won't spend much time at, 6K pts and extra money on top isn't worth it to me.

I got displaced from the (nice) Hostel I was going to stay at (for the social aspect of traveling, but in a private room), and ended up at Banys Orientals on recommendation from a co-worker who lives in Barcelona. The place was great and was about $130 a night when I was there. It had all the style of a Le Meridien and was located right in the heart of El Barri Gotic in downtown Barcelona.

Check it out: http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I've stayed in both and I really like the Le Meridién. Have stayed a number of times, and have gotten major upgrades on a few occasions like to corner two-room suites with an invitation to a dance performance as a bonus or a gift of a Le Labo candle (retail about $80). The very immediate vicinity on Las Ramblas is super-touristy, but the location is extremely central. It's an easy walk to Passeig de Gracia, El Born, the Barri Gotíc. Also if you take the Aerobus from the airport, which to me is the best way to get into the city, it lets you off a 5-minute walk from the Le Meridien in Plaça Catalunya.

That said, the Four Points is perfectly fine. It's in a quieter neighborhood, business district on main streets and residential otherwise. Short walk to the beach.
LM is more luxurious as one would expect given brand differential, but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra 24K points.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:06 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
If you choose the LM and have suite nights to use I would recommend using them here. We were given one of the nicest hotel suites I have ever been in. It was like living in a high end apartment with a view of the cathedral.

After reading fmcfad01's post I checked and I had a prestige suite. I can almost see the bottle of wine on the coffee table.

Last edited by abk; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:44 am

I just looked at the LM Barcelona website and I take my comments back. As someone said above, looks like an awesome place to use up some SNAs and you're right on La Ramblas. Might be worth the cost. Rooms look sick.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
I stayed at the Four Points and enjoyed it a lot, but for that little difference, I would pick the Le Meridian. I walked past it at Las Ramblas, and it looks like a really nice hotel.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm faced with the same choice for July, when the cash plus points option not available for Le Meridien. Since I have points with other programs, I might not go the Starwood route.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for starting this useful discussion.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Another vote for LM given the options. The area immediately around the hotel may be a little overly touristy, but its a great location nonetheless. Rooms are beautiful, staff is incredibly nice, public transportation is nearby, and you're wonderfully close to Boqueria.

Regardless of where you choose, please make the most of your time outside the hotel. Barcelona is a wonderful city with so much to offer.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I think your pocket book is quite a bit fuller than mine is on a regular basis. While $160/night for the Le Meridien doesn't sound too bad... I've NEVER spent $252/night (the Hotel Arts rate) or $430/night (the Mandarin's rate) for a hotel.. EVER.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Check galahotels.com for a possible Best Rate Guarantee on the Four Points. You'll get an additional 20% discount.
Thanks! Galahotels.com does have a lower rate... I've submitted a BRG and may get 4 nights for $240!

Originally Posted by abk
If you choose the LM and have suite nights to use I would recommend using them here.
Alas, I am SPG Gold and no SNAs for me.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Check galahotels.com for a possible Best Rate Guarantee on the Four Points. You'll get an additional 20% discount. (I've done many a mattress run at the Four Points with the BRG)
Many thanks! With BRG, I got 4 nights with breakfast for 48Euros per night!

Greg
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Off topic.

I booked a cozy room at W BCN with the rate of 118.16 EUR/night (taxes and fees included).

As a first-time visitor to BCN, Should i change to stay at Le Meridien instead (236+++ EUR/night)?

Thanks in advance for all inputs.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Jan 31, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.