FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:18 pm
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EMan
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Consider this scenario:
Let's assume I haven't read the T&C and I want to sell a GPU, so I google "UA GPU sale" on the web and get web sites of people selling their GPUs. So they say they are charging $400 for "Advice" and giving the GPU for free. So, I think
"Okay, since everybody's doing it that way, that must be the way to sell your GPUs legitimately". Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?

I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that OP knew it was wrong.....And, almost certainly he did not know what would happen if UA busted him.
However, one thing is clear: UA can make some serious money by busting 1K/GS flyers and closing their accounts. Why put out a big public notice if you can make money by keeping it quiet?

P.s. BTW, how many people read and understand all the Terms & Conditions on anything you sign up for? (I.e. Credit cards, software, retail products, etc.)
Ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse. Try claiming ignorance in a court of law, doesn't work very well. Not everybody knows all the rules but not knowing a rule is not an excuse either. If I did not know it was against the rules and did as you say, I would be mighty suspicious and think, why don't they just sell them, why are they selling advice and giving them away for free. Common sense tells me this is fishy.