FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you consider a shopping trip to take advantage of the strong dollar?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:12 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
Yes. I did this many years ago to have suits made in HKG. Cost was far lower to fly, stay and have the suits made than it would have been to have them made in the states.
+1...my suits are from HK and I love them.

Although to be fair, we *wanted* to go to HK ...the value of my time, just to buy suits, would have been a deal-killer even if someone was giving me the suits for free. It's about a 72-hour process with initial measurements, intermediate fitting, and then final fitting.

Also: I get the sense that as Hong Kong suits are no longer that big of a "secret", the pricing has come up a bit from what people talked about 10 years ago - at least in the area of high-quality, fully-bespoke suits. Still a great deal for excellent suits, of course. (Rock bottom cheap for really cheap suits = Shanghai. I bought a couple of those and they did not last long.)

But since HK is always a good time, if the suits are what it takes to nudge you that way, so be it. ^