FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/AMS Day Return Trip Report - Live
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:25 pm
madfish

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
LHR/AMS Day Return Trip Report - Live

I am hoping to be producing a live Trip Report throughout today as I indulge in a quick visit to AMS. Hopefully it will provide a little bit of insight from a relatively inexperienced (and currently very lowly Blue member) as I seek to follow the amazing advice of the contributors on this forum.

But first, some background…

From my previous flying experience, I can certainly not be classed as a frequent flyer, but as I sit here on Bath Road about to embark on the first of at least 22 flights this year (my previous sectors tally 41 of which 11 have been with BA, 6 being NCL/LON) I can place the blame for going for gold squarely at the feet of FT!

It was certainly not my intention, and would have been happy with Silver as this would allow me to book seats without paying having already booked ex-Dub to MCO flights in CW before discovering FT. However, given some AA flight changes, my TP run to get silver should now net 930TP, and with another 360 from the Florida holiday in the summer, it seems wrong not to go for the extra 210TP needed for Gold. Hopefully I will bag 80 of these as I head out and back to AMS today in CE. This was originally booked in ET as a HBO fare for £85 return, but was able to POUG both sectors for £90 each.

Most of my travel has been in economy with the exception of two returns to Cuba and Florida, both with VA in WTP. So, experiencing CE will be a first today – just one of many as this will also be the first time I have been through T5 at LHR, on what is my first BA flight since 2007.

Hopefully I will be parking the car at the Thistle Hotel for the day before checking in when I get back this evening and taking the ‘pod’ over to T5. Will be at the airport very early as want to truly explore as I find my bearings. Will be hitting the lounges and trying out the passageways. And I have plenty of time to do this in as my flight doesn’t depart until 12.50pm!

I have already done online check in and have secured (at the moment) 1F both ways on the A319. Boarding card is at the ready and bag drop opens at 5am. Unfortunately, not got any luggage so won’t be availing myself of that.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm