LHR/AMS Day Return Trip Report - Live

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

I am hoping to be producing a live Trip Report throughout today as I indulge in a quick visit to AMS. Hopefully it will provide a little bit of insight from a relatively inexperienced (and currently very lowly Blue member) as I seek to follow the amazing advice of the contributors on this forum.

But first, some background…

From my previous flying experience, I can certainly not be classed as a frequent flyer, but as I sit here on Bath Road about to embark on the first of at least 22 flights this year (my previous sectors tally 41 of which 11 have been with BA, 6 being NCL/LON) I can place the blame for going for gold squarely at the feet of FT!

It was certainly not my intention, and would have been happy with Silver as this would allow me to book seats without paying having already booked ex-Dub to MCO flights in CW before discovering FT. However, given some AA flight changes, my TP run to get silver should now net 930TP, and with another 360 from the Florida holiday in the summer, it seems wrong not to go for the extra 210TP needed for Gold. Hopefully I will bag 80 of these as I head out and back to AMS today in CE. This was originally booked in ET as a HBO fare for Ł85 return, but was able to POUG both sectors for Ł90 each.

Most of my travel has been in economy with the exception of two returns to Cuba and Florida, both with VA in WTP. So, experiencing CE will be a first today – just one of many as this will also be the first time I have been through T5 at LHR, on what is my first BA flight since 2007.

Hopefully I will be parking the car at the Thistle Hotel for the day before checking in when I get back this evening and taking the ‘pod’ over to T5. Will be at the airport very early as want to truly explore as I find my bearings. Will be hitting the lounges and trying out the passageways. And I have plenty of time to do this in as my flight doesn’t depart until 12.50pm!

I have already done online check in and have secured (at the moment) 1F both ways on the A319. Boarding card is at the ready and bag drop opens at 5am. Unfortunately, not got any luggage so won’t be availing myself of that.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I parked the car at the Thistle having decided against the option of parking on Bath Road. It would be free today but just didn't want to leave the car on the road even though there was plenty of spaces available. Purchased a ticket/code for the pod and walked to entrance. This cost Ł5. Not sure what exactly I was expecting, although thought the entrance to the pod would actually be in the hotel, rather than across in the car park. However, it was dry and the walk was only a couple of minutes. For Ł5 this was decent value for money and was quite an experience. Not sure how busy the pods get but I walked straight into one with no problems. Needless to say, I was the only one in the pod.

(Those of you with an eye for detail will know that this is actually the pod entrance/exit at T5 rather than the car park. I forgot to take a picture before I got on.

And here's one of the entrance to T5 arrivals.

Was at T5 around 5am so went down and wandered through arrivals before heading up to departures, and heading from the H/J desks down to A and back. All seemed fairly quiet except for check in/bag drop for the early flight to Geneva.

I decided to use fast track security at South. Staff were friendly and from walking in to leaving, including having to use the body scanner, I was done in 4 minutes and 13 seconds, and that was with taking my time. Again, there was hardly anybody there.

I have now strolled along to Galleries North where I am currently sat with a bacon roll (fine) and a cup of coffee. Ok, half a mug of coffee as that was all that came out of the machine! Did seem to get a quizzical look when entering the lounge when my boarding pass was scanned. Probably because of the time until the flight departs!

Now that I was in GC I decided it might be worth freshening up a bit so decided to take advantage of the showers. Had a short wait for one to becoming available, but probably no more than 15 minutes. The shower cubicle itself was clean, although the flooring looked as if it could do with being replaced as there were clear gaps where it has previously been joined. I have seen worse. However, the biggest issue was the temperature of the shower itself as it kept fluctuating between hot and cold.

Following that I decided to check out the passageway between 5A and 5B as identified in C-W-S's excellent thread. I found this fairly straight forward and a nice, peaceful experience. Although saying that, the whole terminal has been fairly quiet as far as I can tell. Having achieved 5B I decided to push on to 5C to see what was on offer there. The real highlight was seeing my first ever A380. Even better than that there were two BA ones on stands next to each other, and in the distance a QF one was also moving around. Watching what I could of the flight departures, which were somewhat masked by the fuel tankers blocking a clear view of the runway, I headed back to 5B to check out the lounge here. Have to say, all is quiet and peaceful. Even considered a bit of a nap but cannot get my brain to settle. Having drunk about a gallon of coffee last night (probably what is hindering sleep at the moment) I have decided to forsake the coffee and going to try a hot chocolate - assuming they have it when I get to GC South which will be my next port of call. Whilst in GC5B I tried one of the egg and cheese muffins. Have to say that was something of a mistake. They may be adequate when fresh but clearly the one I had was barely edible and is now sitting on the plate staring up at me.

I wandered back along the passageway and made my way to GC South. This would be my third lounge of the day and it was only about 9.30am! It seemed a great deal busier than the previous lounges but the offerings were very much the same. I went for the hot chocolate but needed to press the machine 4 times to even get a remotely decent amount in the mug. Tried a few of the pastries. There were nice, although a tad greasy underneath.

I was now ready for the real star attraction...

A couple of weeks ago, I found a FT member had posted an offer on the lounge thread for 12pm today. I had sent them a PM and explained that I would be around although could only manage a quick visit to the CCR as my flight was departing at 12.50pm if the offer was still available. Rather than just accept this, they changed their flight to accommodate mine and we agreed to met at the magic door at 10.30am. Many thanks go to BA038_passenger for outstanding levels of generosity. Once inside the CCR we each had a glass of LPGS - and very nice it was to - before a quick look around the Flounge. (That was 5 lounges in one visit. Although did not even sit down but just had a quick nosey.) Unfortunately my very generous fellow traveller had some errands to run so he returned me to the CCR where I settled down the full English. (what else was I to do at 11am?) The quality of the ingredients tasted very good to me, although they did add a tomato which I had asked not to be included. It is surprising how many places fail to remove the tomato when requested! However, on this occasion it was noticed and an apology was offered which is more than what often happens. Given that I had been guested in I decided that discretion was the best course of action here. The breakfast itself was very edible, although the mushrooms were somewhat on the cold side. (Picture to follow!)

After breakfast I returned to the bar - where else would a FT member go! (Disclaimer - see CCR menu thread!)

A couple more glasses of LPGS and it was time to head to the gate. I will refuse to divulge the number of glasses, but lets just say I was more than happy.

Unfortunately the flight was departing form A1 which meant I had to negotiate almost the entire length of the terminal. However, I was there in time to meet up with BA038_Passenger. He was sat in 1A whereas I had kept my seat of 1F. Not sure how these seats compare with the previous configurations, but I was more than happy with the leg room to the bulkhead. At over 6' I had no issues.

Despite arriving at T5 around 5am I found plenty to occupy my time in the seven plus hours until it was time to board. Fast track boarding was in operation, although I imagine that at least half the passengers went forward for fast track. I am pleased to report that there was no mad scrum and we were soon settled for the flight.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:24 pm Reason: Updated with more observations.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

LHR/AMS

As I mentioned in the brief summary highlights which I posed whilst awaiting for pushback, (now edited with additional detail) I boarded the flight about 15 minutes or so before schedule departure. Perhaps it was more like twenty. I had retained seat 1F which I was pleased about. There was a good deal of leg room in front. Now given that I am no slim Jim, I did find the seat a little slim fitting. Perhaps no worse that Ryanair from a few years ago when I was somewhat less indulged! Unfortunately, the occupant of 1d seemed to take the idea that the 'spare' seat was for his own personal use and filled it with his coat and belongings, even using the tray table as a second table. Granted I had no need for it, but a bit of courtesy would not have gone amiss. In total there were 6 rows of CE for 13 occupants. I didn't go to the back of the plane but ET looked no more than half full. Indeed when I checked yesterday single fares were still only Ł44 each way. Hot towels were issued whilst we waited to push back.

Doors were closed about nine minutes before scheduled departure and we pushed back at 12.51 or so. Given our position at gate A1 it was some 22 minutes later before we had wheels up. About ten minutes in CC began service. This consisted of a salad with chicken served three ways. This is the best way I can think of describing it. It was perfectly edible, although the meat was a little chilled for my taste. I am not a fan of cous cous but this was good, although I did leave the 'pulse' salad part as this had tomato in it. I will endeavour to check the food threads to see if I can actually identify what exactly was served, but here is what it looked like.

I could be wrong, but am sure I read somewhere on here that it is a requirement of all new CE travellers that they must try the Monopole. As such, I stepped up to the bar and took one (ok, two) for the team. Was it champagne? Well, it tasted like fizzy wine. Personally, it was very gassy, especially given that I had just (over)indulged in LPGS in the CCR. I certainly wouldn't rate it and may just go for a G&T on the return.

We landed at AMS after a fairly uneventful flight some 44 minutes after take off. However, we may as well have landed in Belgium given the amount of time it took us to arrive at the terminal - 16 minutes. In total from pushback to doors open I made the journey about 1 hour 23 minutes. Given the speed of service, combined with my enthusiasm for the pending journey, it seemed like less.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:30 pm Reason: Updated with trip report.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Having arrived at AMS just after 3pm I had some four hours to kill before the return flight. It was suggested that I could go into the city, but I think I was too tied to consider this. I would also stress about getting back to the airport in time. I do like to be early (take note - I was at LHR seven hours before!)

I did decide to go landside, however, just to get an idea of what it was like. I was suitable impressed with the terminal. Lots of shops with some very reasonable prices, especially the supermarket, whereas I though McDonald's was quite expensive.

Having had a look around, and brought my daughter a packet of stroopwaffles, I went through immigration. The signs appear ambiguous, and the boarding card did not say fast track. However, I took a chance on the queue and the ushered me through with no issues. I then preceeded to locate the lounge. Now it may be that I was suffering from less brain function than earlier in the morning, but I struggled to follow C-W-S's instructions as easily on this quest. However, I soon found the entrance, and a member of staff was on hand to check that people were going in the right direction. Have to say, it really is a strange route to the lounge. I am currently sat here now - and will take a photo of my view. A KLM 747 is just on its way out. I will post this soon!

Having reviewed the pictures I took, I have decided not to post as they are somewhat blurred and don't really show a great deal.

The lounge itself appears spacious and is very quiet. Perhaps too quiet. I have a comfortable chair, a G&T and wifi. What more could I wish for? Ok, some hearty food would not go amiss. I have enjoyed the snacks that they have on offer and the bar is well stocked. Lounge staff have been going through the customers announcing when flights are due to depart.

The next planned update was when I arrive back at LHR and am ensconced in the hotel. However, things did not go according to plan. I will explain more in post 5!

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:34 pm Reason: Updated with live report from AMS
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

AMS/LHR

I was scheduled to depart AMS at 19.30 and about 50 minutes or so before the lounge staff came around to inform us of our departure and the expected gate. I had tracked the flight arrival so knew the plane had already arrived. I headed down from the lounge and towards the D gates - if my memory serves me right. I proceeded through the little security area, which was all very easy and headed towards the gate. However, when I got there I found it to be deserted. First real panic moment for the day when I realised I had come to the wrong gate. However, all was redeemed a few minutes later when I headed back and saw the flight. I'm sure I had just mixed up gate D28 with D26. An easy mistake to make. Fast track boarding took place and I was soon back in seat 1F. I still need to check what actual aircraft operated this flight, and do wonder if it was the same as the outbound albeit on a later rotation.

I recall a slight altercation with another passenger who tried to remove my coat and bag from the overhead locker to put his own in. I made this clear that this was not acceptable and made him put mine back in, before he wandered off back down the cabin to ET. Just who do some people think they are!

The flight was fairly non-eventful. We certainly taxied for a lot less time getting to the runway and we were soon in the air. Overall I think there were about 6 people in the whole of the six rows of CE. Indeed, I was the only passenger in row 1. Another salad was served.

This was quite tasty. However, the desert that it came was quite vile. I do like sweet food in general but couldn't face this and did comment on it to the CC, whereas the crumble affair on the outbound was perfectly edible.

Not surprising the rest of the flight was something of a blur and we were soon back on terra firma. The downside was the queue at immigration. Must have had at least a 10 minute wait to have passports checked!

From there I made my way back to the pods and was soon back at the Thistle and all checked in. I intended to complete this report once at the hotel, but needless to say the events of the day (including the overnight journey down) had taken its toil and I was soon in the land of dreams - only interrupted by my OH calling to find out what I was up to as I had not phoned her as promised!

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

And so, I come to the final post on the actual trip report, and that is my concluding comments on the experience.

There were many positives from the experience. On the whole the staff I interacted with were all very pleasant and professional. The CCR was an obvious highlight. The other lounges were more than adequate with plenty of drink and a range of snack/lighter options. There were plenty of staff on hand and they were certainly not dirty. The showers could do with a bit of an overhaul, although cleanliness was good. Flights were all on time.

Yes I probably spent far too long at the airport, but I enjoyed my day and it was certainly a good way to start my quest for gold. I doubt I would do it again in this way, but couldn't combine it with flights from MAN given that I needed to be in Cambridge on the Monday until 5pm and I would probably struggle to get to the airport in time for the last flight of the day to MAN.

I have acquired 80 Tier Points and something like 1250 avios so not too bad an outlay. At least I can claim the mileage and the hotel back, even if I have to pay for the flights myself.

If there is one thing I really would do differently, it would be to leave for AMS later in the day so I don't need to do the overnight drive, or give more time to go into the city. But it was a good way to start. A few extra pictures would also make a trip report more appealing.

My next fights are in less than 2 weeks when I will be flying with VS from MAN to JFK via LHR. This is one of the very rare work trips that I get - first since 2007. Unfortunately I will be travelling with 20 teenagers!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 27, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
is there any reason you're there 7 hours before the flight? T5 is a dreadful place - not sure I'd want to spend any more time there than absolutely necessary.

Anyway, enjoy your day.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:42 am

If you're able to post any photos of your TR it would be very welcome
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by irmster
is there any reason you're there 7 hours before the flight? T5 is a dreadful place - not sure I'd want to spend any more time there than absolutely necessary.

Anyway, enjoy your day.
It's better than most terminals IME, 7 hours is slightly too long though.

This trip report could get interesting, the booze would have to be hit by 8AM I think, by midday he'd have gone full on loco and be all war painted up causing a standoff wih the police outside Boots in T5c
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by irmster

Anyway, enjoy your day.
Thank you. Had to drive down from Cumbria as need the car tomorrow otherwise I would have looked to fly from Manchester. I have done worse, although that was when I was younger. 12 hours in T4 in the 1990s with no lounge access.

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
If you're able to post any photos of your TR it would be very welcome
Only have a couple so far. Nothing too exciting but will upload as soon as I stop them rotating onto their sides when I upload them.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It's better than most terminals IME, 7 hours is slightly too long though.

This trip report could get interesting, the booze would have to be hit by 8AM I think, by midday he'd have gone full on loco and be all war painted up causing a standoff wih the police outside Boots in T5c
So far I been to Galleries North - I think! Walked all the way through to 5C and seen my first ever A380. Actually, seen three of them. Two BA ones on stands and a QF one moving in the background.

Currently sat in a very quiet GC at 5B... and not yet touched the alcohol. Hoping to leave that for the CCR where I am hoping the invite to guest me in is still going to happen later on!

And I have finally figured out how to multi-quote on here, so things aren't all too bad!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Did they say you could opt out of the body scanner, or infer it was compulsory?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Did they say you could opt out of the body scanner, or infer it was compulsory?
Didn't say anything about it being optional or compulsory. Just asked me to step into it, which I did. Prefer that than the security giving me a going over!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow u certainly got to the lounge early, still just nice to relax and not be hurried, we always enjoy at least 5 hrs taking in a treatment, and a meal, and of course bubbles. Looking foward to your day trip to ams.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
And madfish is up in the air, 25 minutes late.
https://nl.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW438

I think it's G-EUPR?
http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.n...ate=2015-01-25

Last edited by AtlanticX; Jan 25, 2015 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I really hope the OP is absolutely trashed from drinking since 7am and gives us an update - here's hoping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.