FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italian Lakes - 3 day quick trip - need advice on towns
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
I agree that Lugano isn't the most appealing place to visit, but FWIW, this misstates its history. As Frostbetrieb said, it hasn't been under the rule of Lombardia since the early 16th century, when Ticino became part of the Swiss Confederation. Napoleon did make some border changes when he set up the Helvetic Republic, but that's not when Lugano became Swiss. Neither did it become Swiss only after WWII.

Borders throughout Europe have naturally changed countless times over the centuries, but if you want to go totally by a city's history and/or language, I guess that would mean that Geneva is French, Antwerp is Dutch (or maybe even Spanish!), Gdansk is German, etc.

Anyway, this's is all possibly OT for the sake of itinerary planning, but if anybody cares about the history, it sets it a bit straighter.

BTW, Lugano sits on its very own lake. Bellagio is closer to Lake Lugano than Lugano is to Lake Como, though Lake Como is, of course, much larger than Lake Lugano.
I agree with your post. History and borders are fluid, and often depend on who is telling the story. As you said, borders change. During fascism, many areas with majority speakers quickly changed their patriotism. It's why you go to Alto-Adige in Italy but everyone speaks German, and calls it Sud Tirol. Post WW2 borders are not necessarily historical. A lot has to do with whose version of history you are reading. It seems to me that Lugarnese consider themselves to be Italian, but I concede the point.

It seems that most agree; Lugano is a very large italian speaking and italian eating city that cannot compare to Bellagio; you would have to portage your kayak from one lake to another, or put it on the hood and drive a little to get from one lake to the other. I stand corrected on that.

It is true that it seems that you encounter mainly Italian commuters. I also think that a lot of people throw in Lugarno on top of their Lake Como trip thinking that they are getting to visit two different countries on one trip. It's actually like visiting New York, and stepping a foot into New Jersey. The accent changes a little, but it's hard to tell the difference.