FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:48 pm
MADPhil

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
A pretty newbie question:

I made GLD on my very last flight of 2014, and this gives me a tingly feeling. It's my first time ever having status.

Having booked a flight for March, I did wonder how the following benefit worked.

* Upgrades for Flights under 500 mile, According to AA:
for GLD, PLT and EXP.

However, when I scroll down manage my booking, where one segment is AUS-DFW, I see "request upgrade" N/A. I picked a good preferred seat for free, just to be sure, but how does the upgrade process go. Will I just get a note that my upgrade went through at T-24? Will I be able to pick a seat then, or just get a random First seat assigned?

What if, for example, there's no window seat available in First, can I still pick an economy seat?

Another, unrelated question. Booking through the AA-site, I was offered a routing LHR-DFW. However, on ITA, I could find a routing LHR-MIA, that was 20 euro cheaper, and would give me more miles to boot. Now, the money and miles were not worth the extra flight duration this time around, but I can imagine a desire to optimize miles in the future.

My assumption would be that in order to get that routing, I should have booked by phone and insisted on booking the flights as given by ITA? Or is there a trick to force routings online? Would I have to pay a phone booking fee, or would that have been waived since I couldn't book that routing on-line?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for asking these somewhat basic questions.
If you made the reservation before you achieved status then you need to call in to get the reservation relinked, however the fact that it says N/A for "request upgrade" suggests that your status is already on the reservation. Unless there is no FC of course! If upgraded you will get a random seat assignment but you may catch it in time to move to a seat of your choice. You should be able to decline the upgrade but you will probably have lost your original seat.

You should be able to force a route by using the multi-city option and still get the correct through fare.