FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are luxury hotels for everyone?
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:19 am
Pausanias

Originally Posted by kevincure
Though I love reading the trip reports and reviews in this forum, I wonder: in your experience, are there people for whom luxury hotels simply aren't worth it?

I consider myself quite well-traveled (over 100 countries and something like 1000 nights abroad), and I am finally in a position where in all but the most expensive destinations I can afford to stay where I choose. Nonetheless, I still rarely choose the types of hotels on this forum. My hypothesis is that a lot of the features that many people love about luxury hotels are ones that are of no importance to me. A spa, a private lap pool, total seclusion, service in the "pukka sahib" style: no interest. For food, I rarely find hotels do it best, and even if they do, I just pop over for dinner (as at Amangella on my most recent trip).

What I do value is great design, a location in a happening neighborhood (if in a city) or next to beautiful nature, quiet inside the room, a big comfortable bed, a strong shower, and someone who will set up a cooking class with an excellent chef or a chat with a local eminence grise historian or a well-planned map for a long hike. Are there any luxury hotels you know which might be a good fit?
I agree with just about everything here. The perfect combo for me - luxury hotel with unmatched local interest - is probably Amansara in Cambodia. But I first went to Cambodia in 1992 and stayed in the dereliction that eventually became Amansara. The destination always comes first with me. I'm off to El Salvador in a few weeks' time . . .