FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coffee lovers: Opinions on a travel French Press
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:17 am
IsleOfMan

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've tried a camping french press that you place inside a Nalgene bottle... my main complaint was, if you're not pouring the brewed coffee into separate cup, there is still some steeping action going on in the bottom while you're drinking, so unless you drink fairly quickly you end up with the second half of the cup tending towards bitter and over-extracted. I'd try to avoid any combo solution that has you drinking coffee that's still steeping. If French Press is what she likes, get her a Bodum and a separate travel mug.

Also, I've always thought the French Press in general was a bit of a one-trick pony. Something like the Aeropress is MUCH more versatile, being able to make drinks ranging anywhere form near-espresso to something more like a french press. I personally make something that comes out quite like an americano but without having to dilute after the press. I'd never think of making a Latte or anything similar from a French Press, but I could get pretty darn close with an Aeropress. If you don't like the idea of using a paper filter every time, there are several metal mesh filters available with varying aperture sizes.

Also, for pure simplicity, the Melitta Ready Set Joe is tough to beat especially for $5.50. You can vary things a bit more with it than a French Press, but not nearly as much as the Aeropress. It will also take a #2 gold mesh reusable filter if you don't want to deal with paper filters.