FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:22 pm
kluau88

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by channa
In many cases, the employees do better, at least financially -- with overtime, pay for canceled flights they don't have to work, extra per diem when they get stuck in a city, extra duty time if they work a delay, deadhead pay if they have to get flown around due to the issue.
I am well versed in how the crews can make out with delayed/cancelled flights. In some cases I know where the FA's game the system. Some of the international bases really make out with this when they get guaranteed their trips and are not reassigned. I think being paid for cancelled flights happens less at the domiciles with more than just a few flights since the options for them to be reassigned is greater. The smart FA's schedule their trips back to back and hope for the legality issue to rear its ugly head. Some of the legality issues easily become an issue where the window is < 30 minutes and on some of the Europe to US flights that are operated by the foreign domiciles.

If I am not mistaken it takes a while for the overtime (5 in 1) pay to kick in and usually this only happens when the crew desk gets desperate and makes a deal with the flight attendants so they will extend their duty time maximum in order to get a delayed flight out.

The deadheading of crew really does screw with those on the UG list especially on 3 cabin aircraft as the DHD crew are booked in positive space business as long as there is space. I have seen and heard of crew who are suppose to DHD home but call the crew desk and request to be converted to work, because let's just say sitting in Y on a 744 transpac is not fun.

Last edited by kluau88; Jan 6, 2015 at 9:36 pm