FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:05 pm
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

People aren't stupid? That is a debatable point since they are continuing to fly United.

If they aren't choosier about the airline they fly, why would you expect them to be choosier about the lounge they pay to visit?
Well I went from about 170K PQMs in 2013 to about 45K PQMs in 2014. Call me stupid for the 45K bis on UA metal, but I didn't see a more or as direct flight option between COS and California. I suppose it would have been "smart" to take RJs all the time on DL or Alaska, or fly Allegient via LAS. Right?

There are only four major mainlines, and at times, UA is the best option.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

The only Centurion Lounge I have visited was the one in DFW. I was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. I didn't find it any better than the AA lounge in the same terminal.
The booze is better, and it is free. There is a full buffet all day with food as good as you will get at any diner in D concourse. There is a spa. Other than that it is no better. On the negative side, the office area of the centurion lounge isn't very good for taking phone calls. When I know I will be more than an hour on the phone, I use the AC unless the one conference room (free, unlike an airline club lounge) is available.

By any objective measure, the Centurion Lounges are better than UCs and ACs, but the ACs are nice enough that if an AA FFer uses lots of non Centurion stations, an AC membership might be worth it.

Again this thread is about UCs vs Centurions, and I think the latter will impact the former.