FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:01 am
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
... And then, where does a smug, pampered brat get himself a job in the real world? "Well, I was the first travel blogger to review first class on every airline that operates an A380."
I'll stand up for Ben here, the same Ben who brought enthusiasm and representation for the membership of FlyerTalk when he was elected to the TalkBoard in the past. Since I've personally known Ben longer and more closely than anyone on this thread, I can say that Ben's never come across as smug nor spoiled nor pampered. He started his craft as a wild-eyed sophomore in college with a passion for the same general topics he writes about today and the (many) tens of thousands of his readers daily seem to enjoy traveling vicariously through his blog since many of us aren't able to in our daily jobs travel that way and it is more like readers become Walter Mitty-ish after reading his ventures and experiences similar in the way that other bloggers explore the far reaches of the world. What you may relate to as smug is likely related to the product rather than Ben because coach on Spirit Airlines dies not evoke the same pattern of content.

There will be of no value to attack me, I am simply pointing out to others that may read these comments that Ben is an extremely generous individual (whether on FlyerTalk or with other budding bloggers, he has always volunteered to help others) who was able through his own hard work and efforts turn his passion into a livelihood which delights those who do read him. On most days, Ben is the single most read individual in the frequent flyer space, more read than any single post/thread on FlyerTalk or other travel community. This is because he has content that is readable and enjoyable, not arguable.